Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: 1800+ Temps

Hey guys, im at my friends house and were oCing his comp, and he only has a HSF in the computer. We were wondering how hot the AMD Athlon XP 1800+ CPU ran, becuase either is sensor on the mobo is out, or he is running at 62 C :eek: The HSF is hot to the touch though, so that may actually be right. Can you tell us the standard temps for Athlon XP 1800 Palmino's, cuase its at 62 C without an OC on. I know that standard T-Breds run at like 38 to 45 C, so what do Palminos run at???:?: :?: The Vcore is also at 1.75 Vs, and i was looking at Wiggos Guide at the top and it said that the Athlon XP 1800+'s could be used at 1.5 Volts.
    Thanks
    <font color=orange>AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton (166*11=1883MHz) -|- Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev2.0 -|- Corsair XMS PC3200 512 MB RAM 2T-3-3-6 @DDR333 -|- Leadtek A250 TD GF4 TI 4400 300/630 -|- 40 Gig Quntaum Fireball AP+ -|- 52x Samsung CD-ROM Drive -|- SB Live Digital 5.1 -|- Antec SG case w/350 Watt Power-Up PSU</font>

Damn, are you using a stock HSF? And if ya gonna overclock you have got to have case fans, BTW, what is his case temp, and the room temp? Thats way to hot. Normally with ya stock HSF you dont run uch over 50C. Is there any thermal tape/compound on it?

cpu's don't have a standard temp they run at, what temp your CPU operates at is copletely dempendent on a numbr of variables, including case air flow, quality of the HSF, and ambiant room temp

now the palamino core is the hottest that AMD has made, but that wont stop you from keeping your cpu cool; I have a 2100 palamino...right now it is running at 36 C

if the only fan is the one on your HSF, then you MUST get some case fans on it to bring in cool air and remove hot air from the case. A HSF is only as good as the air it has to work with. 62 C is too hot for a cpu (although it's not the max temp, it's too close), not to mention that it is probably your idle temp and gets much hotter when it's being maxed
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Quote Originally Posted by amd_man2003
    Damn, are you using a stock HSF? And if ya gonna overclock you have got to have case fans, BTW, what is his case temp, and the room temp? Thats way to hot. Normally with ya stock HSF you dont run uch over 50C. Is there any thermal tape/compound on it?
    No, its a OEM Proc with a coolmaster cooling system, that looks really bad. The HSF is really hot to the touch, so im guessing that there is some sort of TIM applied, cause the heat is obviously being transfered to the HSF. Case temps are at about 36 C, and that is only becasue the case is open atm. When he closes it, it gets really hot.
    <font color=orange>AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton (166*11=1883MHz) -|- Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev2.0 -|- Corsair XMS PC3200 512 MB RAM 2T-3-3-6 @DDR333 -|- Leadtek A250 TD GF4 TI 4400 300/630 -|- 40 Gig Quntaum Fireball AP+ -|- 52x Samsung CD-ROM Drive -|- SB Live Digital 5.1 -|- Antec SG case w/350 Watt Power-Up PSU</font>

Quote Originally Posted by minibubba

62 C is too hot for a cpu (although it's not the max temp, it's too close), not to mention that it is probably your idle temp and gets much hotter when it's being maxed

That is what i had iniatally thought, and yes, the stressed temps to get much hotter.

Quote Originally Posted by homeworld1031tx
    No, its a OEM Proc with a coolmaster cooling system, that looks really bad. The HSF is really hot to the touch, so im guessing that there is some sort of TIM applied, cause the heat is obviously being transfered to the HSF. Case temps are at about 36 C, and that is only becasue the case is open atm. When he closes it, it gets really hot.
    how much dust is in/on the HSF? Dust acts like an inuslator and just counteracts your attempts to keep it cool. Take it off and make sure you give it a good cleaning. And while it is off make sure to clean off the old TIM and apply some Arctice Silver 3; a HSF can transfer heat away from the cpu without any kind of thermal goop, but it does a poor job of it. If the HSF is hot to the touch, then I think the fan is not doing a good job of moving the air and dispersing the heat...but good case cooling will also help remove some of that heat

how hot is the room that the computer is in? If the mobo is 36 C with the door off, I've got to wonder just how hot the room is? if've you've got a good desk/floor fan try pointing it into the case and see if that brings your temps down some more.

Like i said, you need some case fans to keep the air moving in the case, and now that I know what HSF you have, I'd recomened looking into getting a volcano 7+ to replace it.
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

It ain't my guide as I stated but a Palamino XP's runs at 1.75v and it certainly looks like that case is an oven (unless the room is and this is why I aways ask for room temps as those are criticial for diagnosus) plus what is the actual model number for that HSF? And remember the best HSF in the world is useless without a good source of fresh air.

Thread Information