Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: How hot is to hot? P4

I have a P4 2.4b on an Abit BH7 MB. Still using the stock heatsink but not overclocking yet. Plenty of case cooling and using arctic silver on the heat sink. At idle CPU is about 52C playing games like Return to Castle Wolfenstein or Tribes 2 it jumps to about 66C
    What is the best method of cooling(liquid, fan, or thermo electric)
    Please reply before I have my own little 3 Mile Island.

Well for starters I hope that ya didn't use an excessive amount of AS on the heat spreader as only a very thin layer is needed plus even on P4's I use Volcano 7+'s instead of Intel's stock HSF but if the CPU gets into the mid 70C's it will start to throttle itself down.

That does seem a bit high.

How accurate is that measurement?

There is no reason that a non-overclocked system shouldn't be sufficiently cooled by air so long as the ambient air temperature is reasonable.

Properly taken temperature readings for a P4 are done at the center of the HSF inlet .3 inch above the center of the fan hub.

Maximum temps for optimal cooling are;
    40° C - 2.8G and below procesors
    38° C - 3G and above processors

http://www.intel.com/support/process...m4/thermal.htm
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

My 2.4 is overclocked to 2.88 ghz and my temp is 35 C. Underload it hits 40 C. Im also using the tornado cooler...

66C for a P4 2.4b on load is little high for a cpu that isn't overclocked my question is, is the cpu running stable if it isn't then you should start to really worry.
    anyhow you would proberly notice a big temp drop if you put on a Volcano 7+ because my old P4 2.4b @ 2.9ghz temps were about 50 to 55 load :)

I've got a P4 2.53 @ 2.63 (this is cause I can only use burn in mode since its an intel mobo) and a aeroflow hsf, idle temps are 27 celcius and load is 34.

Thread Information