Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cool Intel vs AMD burn-up video

OK - my view :)

The Athlon XP and MP (along with the "Morgan" stepping Durons) do have an integrated thermal diode, but it relies on the motherboard to prevent overheating. If the motherboard doesn't support the circuitry required - then the chip will cook itself.

The Pentium 4 is designed to "Clock Throttle" when it gets too hot. The value is about 100C, minus the clock throttling ratio that is set in the BIOS. I have mine set to 12.5%, which means that (roughly) at 87.5 degrees my CPU will kick down and maintain a constant temperature. But the problem comes with some motherboard manufacturers setting this value to something like 50% - at 50 degrees it kicks in and the CPU slows down for "no apparant reason".

There you go :p
    What came first - Insanity or Society?

Quote Originally Posted by erwin1978
    I've got some more old news if anyone's interested.
    No thanks, but we could use some future news. like what unexpected event will happen next week:wave:

Quote Originally Posted by [size=7
    Onyx[/size]]
    I thought the thermal thing in AMDs were to be implemented on the mobo's - and as of yet NO motherboards on the market supports it.
    Actually Asus boards have supported this feature for a couple of months now. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Quote Originally Posted by Bahamut Zer0
    That TomsHardware video copped alot of flak when AMD released their own video with totally different results. I never did get to download that vid AMD released, server was clogged for ages and I lost interest.

Anyway, all Athlon XP CPUs now have thermal diodes in them to prevent chernobyl. In an interesting twist, there were reports that the P4 chips would kick in with their 'slow-down' technology for no apparent reason.

Again, didnt look into this....damm i hate dialup. Miss out on all the good stuff. :(
    Where's the link to the AMD video?

Quote Originally Posted by [size=6
    erwin1978[/size]]

Where's the link to the AMD video?
    Ok here's the AMD link http://www.amdzone.com/files/amdburn.zip and here's the Intel one http://www.amdzone.com/files/intelburn.zip but there was also an Italian site that done vids too but I can't locate that one atm. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information