Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Server-cooling in a non-AC room

My basic problem is I run a server 24/7 in my rather small, cramped office space in a college science center that my college decided didn't need any AC. Anywhere. In the entire building.
    Despite having an Antec case loaded with 7 large high-end case fans (though the CPU heatsink is still a plain, run-of-the-mill large aluminum one), I'm extremely worried about keeping the server running. The air temperature in the room can get above 100F at times, will likely get hotter still over the summer, and there is nothing I can do except get a large stand-up fan and turn it on the server. Begging for the rights to set up the computer in the administrative building, the only AC on campus, is basically out of the question. Moving it to a larger room like an old classroom might help a bit (still be hovering in the high 90's), but that would be a larger security risk for someone stealing it -- it looks pretty breathtaking, so having someone snatch it is a worry for me.
    So, a generic question --- what kinds of cooling systems would work best in this case? Given the layout, there's no way I can cool the room itself down further. The server is a Pentium 4 1.7 ghz. The CPU and (two) hard drives are the areas I would like to focus cooling on, but really I'd feel better if there was something that could cool the entire case down more, if such a system exists. Being able to focus cooling on just one hard drive would be fine, too, as only one is extremely important.

Any thoughts? Nothing specific needed; just if someone could recommend a TYPE of cooling system that helps with air temperature is the biggest worry.

well first of all, a better HSF will do wonders in keeping the temps down... the stock HSF are never too good, especially in a hot room

if you have the money, you might want to look into getting a water-cooling setup, or thermo-electric.... those would probably be your best options for keeping it cool (and quiet) in such a hot room ... but it can get costly

as for the HDD's there is plenty of good coolers for them, but you'll have to have an open 5.25" bay to use them. What Antec case do you have? if it is one of the soho varieties it should have a fan in front of the second 3.5" drive cage that will do good enough

what case do you have and what kind (including manufacturer) of HDD's do you have
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

an Antec case loaded with 7 large high-end case fans
    What kind of antec case? Rackmount? U can add things like hdd coolers if u are really concerned. What temp does your cpu go up to on load at the moment?

Dare I mention Thermaltake's Volcano 7+ or Spark 7+ HSF's? :?:

gee Wiggo, how did I know you were going to say that... :laugh:
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Actually the high room temperatures will make ANY HSF pretty ineffective. Have you considered a good water cooling solution? The higher quality ones are designed to keep your processor running at roughly room temperature, which in your case would give you a workable running temp. Then you can keep the other fans going to provide a constant flow of air for your other peripherals.

Just my :2cents:
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

One guy in these forums recently was describing a small air conditioning unit that he used to cool his PC under similar circumstances. The unit wasn't powerful enough to cool the entire room but he used ducting to route the cool air into the case. I don't know how much electicity it used but probably not too bad.

I've never heard of such units except once in a movie...."Congo" they had battery powered air conditioners for their tents. Don't know if such things exist but they must. Try a sporting goods store.
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe, Athlon Barton 2500+ with SLK-800 and 4800rpm 80mm fan, ATi 9700Pro(AIW), Dual 256MB Corsair XMS 3200c. Seagate Barracuda SATA. 200MHz fsb with 11X multiplier, RAM latency: 2,2,2,5

Thread Information