Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: How to apply the Thermal Grease

I'm helping out a friend to put up his rig and I just want to know how much AS3 to use and how to apply it on the cpu die.
    We have a TT Volcano 11+ at hand and it came with thermal grease in the box but also bought AS3 as well. AS3 is a conductor of electricity right cos it has siver in it, are we better off using the Thermal Grease which came with the HSF?
    (I've read somewhere that Copper is a much better conductor of heat compared to AS3 or Thermal Grease and the latter are only used to cover the parts where Heatsink does not touch the CPU die. Is this correct information?)
    Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop
    p4 1.7GHz, 1GB DDR-Ram, 40GB hdd, DVD-ROM+External DVD-+RW, connected to a BenQ 17"LCD Display (own LCD display went nuts)

Go with the AS3. Follow their instructions and you shouldn't have any problems. :thumb: Isn't the core of the Volcano copper?
    [size=1.5]AMD 2100+ | Epox 8RDA+
    2x256KHX3000 | AreoFlow TMD
    Antec SmartBlue 350watt | 2 TT80mm case fans | WD 120gig
    Maxtor 60gig | FIC 9800pro | Apex Thermally enhanced case [/size]

the whole heatsink is copper and thats why i had doubts 'cos the guy who sold us these told us to use quite a bit of AS3 and i think the otherwise, because copper is better off touching the cpu die flat where it can.
    Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop
    p4 1.7GHz, 1GB DDR-Ram, 40GB hdd, DVD-ROM+External DVD-+RW, connected to a BenQ 17"LCD Display (own LCD display went nuts)

they guys that told you that have got their facts all backwards

you do need some on there, but as thin as possible and still covering all of the CPU chip
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

minibubba's right just use a thin amount. You got a good HSF so all should be well.
    [size=1.5]AMD 2100+ | Epox 8RDA+
    2x256KHX3000 | AreoFlow TMD
    Antec SmartBlue 350watt | 2 TT80mm case fans | WD 120gig
    Maxtor 60gig | FIC 9800pro | Apex Thermally enhanced case [/size]

i use a razor, and general rule is to make it so thin that you can just start to see the color of the cpu core through the paste. I know it sounds weird, but thats what the manufacturers suggest, and i have tested, and it gives me best results by 3-4 degrees. it should be WAY thinner than a single sheet of paper
    -=Gh3tt0PC=-

Is it really necessary to put them paste? Co'z i had a Vantec Aero Cooler, attached to my P4 2.66 CPU, but i didn't put the white paste that comes with the CPU FAN.

I know its strange, co'z im thingking if i put it on top(the paste), it blocks the coldness of Heatsink, then the CPU will still be hot.

What would be the difference if, i had it on my CPU? and whats the purpose of that paste?

thanks!

"I MaY nOt WhAt ThEy CaLlEd PERFECT bUt SoMe PaRtS Of Me ArE ŁUcKiNg ExElLeNt!"

The idea is not the coolness of the heatsink, but that the heat gets to the heatsink up to the fins to dissipate it and thus, the CPU runs cooler, becuase the heats being taken from the core quicker. SO yes, you almost must use it

Thermal grease is used to elimate air pockets between the surfaces as these air pockets can become super hot (no matter how small they are) and damage to the CPU can result.

Thread Information