Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Temp. Thresholds..What is safe and whats not??

I am just wondering what the general consensus is when it comes to the question:
    "what is a safe range for CPU temp and for case temp?"

I have overclocked my 1.8ghz to about 2250ghz and its running at about 94degrees F, (34 degrees C). Is this bad/good/pushing it? And are there any good programs to monitor cpu temp from windows (as opposed to bios)?

Plz fill the noob in.. thx.

wel, it depends on the CPU, Let us know your CPU and we can help[ ya better

Hi and welcome to the Forums.

Your temperatures are just fine, but it can make a difference on top end temps depending on whether you are running an AMD or Intel processor. With the AMD line, I always shoot for a temperature well under 45 degrees Celsius. You can safely go to as high as 60C without any issues, but the lower threshold ensures a trouble free setup. I'll let others comment on the Intel lineup with regards to recommended highs as I haven't used their processors for several years now.

As to a monitoring utility, Motherboard Monitor 5 is probably one of the most widely used on the market right now. It is free and uses the motherboard's onboard sensors to gather information and display it. It will also run in the background and can sound alarms if temperatures go higher than your preset limits or if fans drop below a given speed. Overall a very good program.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Gee I wish that I had a dollar for each time that this question has been asked with proper details given. :D

I'm running an Intel Pentium4 1.8ghz..

120 clock, 18 multiplier, 1.875 core voltage

Gee does over 1.75 help ya any? :?:

But as I've repeated plenty of times with this question with P4's, so long as ya keep it below 60C then ya doin' well (below 45C in summer is good for me) but if things get out of hand then the CPU will start throttlin' itself around mid 70C and then shut itself down if it can't keep temps down enough.

Thread Information