Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: water cooling question

could someone explain to me how air cooling water that cools a processor is better then just a regular HSF on the processor? sorry for the newbie question but i can't seem to make sense of it. i know that water has better heat transfer properties than air, but if you're heating the water and cooling it (the water) back down with air what's the point?

Well in the simplest terms you get much better cooling for a higher price. I'm not sure if you wanted the scientific answer....if so sorry but I have no idea. I guess water is just able to cool better.
    Antec 1080AMG with window kit
    P4 3.06 HT@3.38
    Volcano 7+
    ASUS P4C800 Deluxe
    ATI Radeon 9700 pro
    1GB Crucial DDR PC-2700
    Creative Audigy 2

well, i know that much. i just wanted to know why from processor heat to water to air is better than just processor heat to air.
    i suppose the benefit is in the radiator. because the water has a lot more time to cool down after it picks up the heat. i think i've got it figured now that i actually sit down and think about it. well, sorry for wasting everyone's time.

Quote Originally Posted by mjmnam
    i suppose the benefit is in the radiator.
    yep, you answered you own question...water cooling would be quite pointless without the reservoir and radiator

but it is also more than water...there is usually a coolant added as well
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

does anyone make a water cooling set up that uses an 80x160mm radiator to take up the two rear exhaust ports on a case?

Really water coolers that are contained within the case don't carry enough liquid to do the job properly as a few litres is required to disapate that amount heat nowdays.

Wiggo, I think you finally got it wrong. How does that feel BTW?
    :p The amount of cooling water in your reservoir doesn't affect cooling very much. It only takes more time for the temperature to level out, due to the large volume of water which needs to heat up first. It is quite normal to go without a reservoir, only the bleeding of the system is easier with reservoir, but opinions vary on that subject
    The radiator is the critical part in watercooling. you can use the best waterblocks in the world and have a 50 gallon of coolant, but if you go cheap on the rad it will not cool down your system very well. Just look at a refrigerator, it cools to below freezing, but it can only do so because of the huge radiator in the back.

Oh and the Black Ice Micro 2 from HWlabs holds 2 80mm fans, so is would probably be a bit longer than 160mm but pretty close.
    I've been reading heavily about watercooling and the experts all use 2nd hand heater cores from cars. Once I get building I'll use the rad from HWlabs, because you now what youre getting. (and I don't like damaging cars, even if they are on the scrapheap)
    "Make FPS, not war"

Ya better do ya homework a bit more thoroughly I'd say as most good radiators/heat exchanges take up more room that is available within a case unless ya usin' a genuine full tower. I'm sorry but I've been lookin' into this for a few years now and as the years roll by the more is needed. ;)

mmm I was affraid you wouldn't give up so easily. If you want passive watercooling i.e. without a fan attached to the radiator, the I agree. You would need a lot cooling area (rad) to cool it by convection.
    But in my current case Brand x I have enough room to fit the BIX2. And that is considered a good rad. (you would still need a fan though).
    Oh here is a nice one on AMDforums

They have a lot of info on that site about watercooling. If after that you still not agree, then I give up. You are a mod after all
    "Make FPS, not war"

Yes there are a lot of sites that focus on water coolin' from all over this world and systems that carry at least 4.5l/1imp.gal/1.1us.gal seem to do better than those with less when setup properly as these can take their time pickin' up heat and then dispersin' it which setups of less will have probs. I'm sorry but I'm from the old school where more = better. :shrug:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information