Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: another question

When I install a new heatsink I am always affraid I might damage something due to the enormous force needed to fasten the clip. Is it an option to bend the clips a little so you don't have to use force or is that bad for the result?

O, and although it is a shame you were of the web for a few days. It did gave me the change to change my username.
    Every downside has its upside
    "Make FPS, not war"

Bending the clipping mechanism to relieve the pressure of it would be a bad thing. There is a certain amount of force that is necessary to maintain proper pressure between the core and the heatsink. If you bend the clip too far, you won't have a firmly seated heatsink...and you will likely burn up the processor as a result.

If you're that concerned about doing damage to the core, then get yourself a shim that is designed for the XP processors. This will protect the core and allow you to install the HSF without fear. :)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Definately if your worried get a shim but relieving the pressure on the clip can be expensive. :smokin:
    <center></center>

Yeah, the clip seems kinda' shoddy in a way, but it was designed by people who knew what they were doing:thumb:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

When I install heatsinks, crushing it it the least of my fears, I'm always terrified that I'm going to slip and drive the screwdriver right through my motherboard.

I'm always worried about the heatsink sliding on the CPU and making a mess of the heat sink compound
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Sorry fellows but that's one thing that never really worried me though I do worry about static electricity which is probably why I use the kitchen bench which is very close to the tap outlet and a good ground. ;)
    <center></center>

Interesting how each of us overcame our individual fears to be the tweaker type at all isn't it?

I'm also just worried about my screwdriver slipping than crushing my cpu. I prefer HSF's like the Alpha PAL8045 and Swiftech MCXC370 that don't use those old fashioned stiff clip desings. Less hassle, and less worry. :thumb:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C
    Interesting how each of us overcame our individual fears to be the tweaker type at all isn't it?
    It's like our own tweaking psychological experiment. How difficult can you make it and people still be willing to risk mucho $$$$ to do a little better than stock/baseline? Hey, that's how the airplane was invented... and a lot of other things as well.
    Have you hugged a Midget today?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information