Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MSI GF4 Ti4600 : Expensive Baking Plate?

*Waaahahahaaaa* :tears:

Well, a while ago I told about the planned mod for my GF4 card. Yesterday I received my new mobo and CPU. But the local store at which I ordered the AS3, the beginning of last week, STILL hasn't got it. Hence I had to put off this GF4 mod too.

But out of curiosity and preparation, I took it out, and replaced it with a TNT2 card. (Just so I can post and stuff :p ). I removed the heatsink clips on each side. However, the heatsink did not come off. It's either taped or glued. And since I don't see an awful lot of room to pry off the heatsink.. I think I'm stuck here. That sucks. Unless someone would have a magic trick to remove this GPU heatsink? .. :rolleyes2

-Magic

The heat sink might be glued down by fresh thermal grease, that is my guess.
    CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
    Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
    RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
    GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
    PSU: Thermaltake 500w
    SC: Audigy 2 zs
    LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
    Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
    Mouse: Logitech G5

i tried 2 remove a heat sink off my north bridge chipset , 2 putr a zalam 1 {less noise} an had the same problem , i wimpedout but the instructions say "removeing the heat sink may regire forcse"

i thought bugger it not playin that game but u would probs get a way wiv a bit of pullin {an luck}

caution is reqired also an obviosly

1: DONT BLAME ME IF U SCREW IT UP 2

2: U VOID THE WARRENTY {i know its obviouse but ....}

try an c!

alan

Do not try to pull it off, try to find another way, because thermal grease is a ***** to remove once it is settled....SOOOO find another way!!!! :blah:
    CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
    Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
    RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
    GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
    PSU: Thermaltake 500w
    SC: Audigy 2 zs
    LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
    Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
    Mouse: Logitech G5

I think I will get an old broad screwdriver and put the flat head against a hispeed rotating gridstone. How you call these things anyways? :p Anyways the result should be a very flat (near razor like) front of the screwdriver. Hopefully this will become a successful pry tool hehe.

-Magic

P.S. I already used reasonable force trying to take off the heatsink. I used a combination of pulling/twisting. The heatsink wouldn't budge, not even by the twisting. If it would, then I know I could get it off fairly easy. But this bugger doesn't move at all.

Well, I decided to cancel the order for AS3 with the local shop here and found me an onlineshop that had both the AS3 and 2 120GB SATA drives as well (last items I needed for the current upgrade). So tomorrow, the building fun can really commence!

-Magic

The tool you are speaking of is a chisel. That is the best you are going to get to remove the double sided thermal TAPE the factory installed. IT IS NOT THERMAL GREASE> Grease does not stick like that. Thats why they call it grease.

Good luck, go slow, and push a little at a time to get in between the HS and the chip. Put most of the pressure in between the tape and the heatsink. It should take 10-20min to do it properly. No rush.

And have fun,

Chez

Thanks m8 :)

They have a saying here, "Good tools provide half the work". So yeah, I'll see what I can get to do this job. At least now I know what I'm dealing with so maybe I can pull off this mod. I'm willing to risk it as I don't have any warantee on the card any more. And since I have an electronics background as well, I know I won't go beyond limits a.k.a destroy my board. But accidents lurk from the smallest of corners.

I checked my order and it's being sent out, so I'll get the AS3 and drives tomorrow guaranteed. I can't wait to put this new rig together! : party ha

-Magic

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information