Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heatsink Lapping

That looks a heck of a lot BETTER now than it did.

Just a little FYI. If you wet sand it with dishsoap for your final sanding you will actually get a better finished product.
    Dry sanding is actually a lot harsher and leaves a lot more scratches and stuff behind.
    I don't know how much of a difference as I have never just dry sanding it. I do know that it shines up sweet though. I never tried it until I read it in a lapping guide and they suggested using some dishsoap, so I tried it, and it worked.
    Just in case you wanna try. By now I am sure you have had enough.

Looks good though. I am sure lapping it won't HURT your temps!!!

Chez :cheers:

BTW I bet if you go back and put a little thermal paste on your HSF, than mount it, take it back off, and then look where your CPU touches your HSF. IT will be in the CENTER of the original concave that you had to sand out. THAT is the product of the heating and cooling of the metal. The center being the hottest adn the outside cooling down before the center does.
    THAT is why I double check mine after a couple months.
    I haven't noticed it with Aluminum blocks as bad. Copper is a softer metal and has a tendency to warp easier.
    Yours looks like it might have been on quite a while, just a guess.

Yeah I would think so and eventually redid it with water and dishsoap. The guide you provided me is where I got my general information from. From a different site how to make a useful lapping plate. It was fun doing that research. Here's a pic of the heatsink base prepared with thermal paste. It's a dull blob in the middle, exactly what it's supposed to be like. Too bad, I liked the shine hehe. Oh well. The final pic will show the seating of the heatsink on the mobo.

MagicBox : NICE ! :thumb:
    I've been meaning to lap my V7+, but haven't got around to it yet....:thumbs do
    Let us know what your temps are when you get it up and running. :cheers:
    SPAM Special Ops

hmmm...
    if i had a decent heat sink i may try this.... but seeing that i dont... can't be bothered... i was just curious what temp drops do you get from lapping? is it noticeably differnt?

The Evolved One

Lummy! I better do that do my 7+ seeing as its not being used at the moment. Wow what a difference! :hammer: :thumb: :thumb:

Yeah it sure's worth a try. It can easily take up 3 hours if not more if you work patentiently (and take enough breaks). But the result will be rewarding :)

To Chezman:

Yeah, I noticed that conclave was centered right over the cpu core. If I'd have put it on like it came from the factory, I would have ended up with a bubble of thermal grease in the middle, not to mention the most of the clip preasure will be directed at the CPU die's corners.

I made a picture of the final result. The closeups were kinda hard to get, but I think I did a good job making the contact to the CPU visible. First shot is the left side of the die, the other the right side. You can see the light shine next to the die:

(somewhat off-topic: This V7+ was a ***** to get on the socket properly. Mainly caused by the row of capacitors just under the CPU socket. I couldn't hook up the back of the clip well enough, cause those capacitors prevented that huge chunk of metal from tilting. After remodelling the clip a bit I could get the back to hook up and secure it (no, I didn't screw up the preasure power of the clip) Today I'm going to build in the mobo. I should be up and running with my new rig soon! )

So we have put the computer together now!

At first the temperatures were not what I expected. But then I realized the AS3 still had to 'work in' for 200 hours. During the day yesterday, temps got better and better.

I first geared up the CPU and mobo in standard mode, 166*12.5.

7+ Speed: Low
    Temps: Idle CPU/MB 40c/31c Load CPU/MB 45c/31c
    Room: 23c

All readings were with Asus probe (except room temp)

Then I started to play with FSB and multi settings and I now have it running stable at 200x11.0 (3200+). No voltage adjustments required at all. This yielded the following temps:

7+ Speed: Low
    Temps: Idle CPU/MB 45c/29c Load CPU/MB 51c/32c
    Room: 21c

So what do you think of the temperatures, considering the low-speed setting of the V7+? (High setting only lowered the temps by about 5c on load. I almost had to anchor my computer to avoid having it take off lol)

WOW good job guys! I love to see sutch creative ideas being used!

I've never had to worry about lappin' before though I've seen cases where it'd do well but if ya runnin' an AMD system then medium speed is what I'd use though P4's do well at low (until ya wind the wick up).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information