Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Help With Cooling

As the intro cannot be any clearer, i will be.

I purchased a Sony Vaio PCV-RX830, almost a year ago. About three months with the PC I bought an Atlantis Radeon 9700Pro, and because I didnt know much about tweaking i figured I'd overclock a little bit, to see if anything went wrong, even though there was no need to overclock in the first place. I managed to overclock my GFX card about 15 to 20 notches above the normal settings. I had no problems for a long time until one day, while playing counter-strike, my game just went screwy on me. Lines were everywhere, it just was bad. I didnt know what it was until i asked someone who had previous knowledge of overclocking, he told me that it looked like an overheating video card. so i quickly underclocked my GFX card. still the problem persisted.

after looking around i went to newegg and bought a new case, with some good opportunities for cooling, and a cheap price.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...ion=11-124-058

i bought the case, with a 120mm fan, and 2 other 80mm fans. after i installed everything, thinking the problem would be solved, it still persisted.

right now i dont know if my fans are hooked up in a not so good way, if i should buy a new fan for my gpu, or if i should buy a new fan/heatsinc for my cpu. (btw my fans are set up as - 120mm intake in front, all others are exhaust including my psu and cpu)

SPEX
    http://sonyweb1.isomedia.com/support...x830_Specs.htm
    Atlantis Radeon 9700 Pro
    Creative Soundblaster Live 5.1!
    2 80mm antec double ball bearing fans
    2 80mm generic
    1 120mm thermaltake fan
    WinXP Home

if there are any more questions just ask. any help at all will be greatly appreciated.

EDIT - sorry i forgot to mention the current temps that i know of
    cpu - 46C (idle) 52+C (running game)
    mobo - 35C
    room - 70F (sorry i dont know the conversion)
    boo!

I'm sorry but it sounds like your card is damaged, if those lines doesn't go away even after turning the frequencys down to stock and mounting it in a cooler case solution then the card might have been permanently damaged by your overclock and the overheating.. :(

If possible you should try your card in another computer and see if the problems still there, just to be sure.. :2cents:

i tried it in a computer, but it was just being used as a server so i couldnt play any game to test that out, at first it bugged out but eventually wored well for a bout 30 min. im an impulse buyer so i just wanted to see if it would work at all in my old case, and once it did i just got the new one. i was afraid it bight be ded. anyone got a 98600Pro For sale :D ill trade
    boo!

UPDATE - took my 9700pro out and am trying to rma it, gl with this.
    boo!

Quote Originally Posted by WingerDinger
    i tried it in a computer, but it was just being used as a server so i couldnt play any game to test that out, at first it bugged out but eventually wored well for a bout 30 min. im an impulse buyer so i just wanted to see if it would work at all in my old case, and once it did i just got the new one. i was afraid it bight be ded. anyone got a 98600Pro For sale :D ill trade
    a 98600?? DANG THEY MAKE THOSE???
    CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
    Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
    RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
    GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
    PSU: Thermaltake 500w
    SC: Audigy 2 zs
    LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
    Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
    Mouse: Logitech G5

in my dream world they do
    boo!