Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Will this be a good idea for laptop cooling?

Hi,

I have this brand new laptop with p4@3.06 gHz and whenever im not thinking about oc i think about finding better ways to cool down the damn thing. This laptop has a single :eek: tiny fan that used to activate almost immediately (before I bought this cooling fan pad that is supposed to be the latest in laptop cooling) With the pad the fan turns on only after couple of hours of work but still the laptop feels damn hot. What i've been thinking is constructing a sort of my own fan cooling pad with the following compontents:

4x 120mm PCToys Stealth Pro fans
    3x 80mm PCToys Stelath Pro fans
    2x Fan Controller
    total airflow = 293 CFM

My idea is to place the fans so that they pretty much cover the whole area of the bottom part of the laptop then place the laptop on top of them. I want to know though if this is a good idea for cooling down a laptop or is it a little too much? Or I'd very much appreciate it if you have any other info on laptop cooling.

Thanks a bunch all. : peace2:

You would need space either side of the fans (so the air can actually 'flow'), a rig with say 1/2" either side of the fans. Also need space for the controllers. This would turn into a unit maybe twice the size of the laptop itself, thus defeating the entire point of a laptop ;)
    Cooling n00b.

yup that is right however im in uni now and my laptop doesnt really go anywhere. I have LAN conn and i prefer to keep it on 24/7 for dl-ing and stuff that's why i think it's gonna worth it.

One thing that bothers me is how noisy do u think the fans will be? Each of the larger ones makes about 30dba does that mean that when all of them work there will be deafening noise of 150+ dba??? :?:

No, two fans at 30dB does not make 60dB, and it does not make twoce the volume either. The change would be in the region of 1-4dB most likely, you should understand that 30dB is twoce as loud as 20dB, and 40dB is twice as loud as 30dB. Its an odd scale, this chart may help:

dB Charts

Each of the large fans makes 30dB? There are quieter fans out there, Vantec for example have a range of "stealth" fans, I have 3 of these in my case, very quiet. With a fan controller you can make them even quieter, by running them at a slower speed depending on just how hot ur machine really is.
    Cooling n00b.

I'm sorry but ya'd have to be IMO just considerin' overclockin' one in the 1st place as internal coolin' is usually right on the edge to start with. : peace2:

Thread Information