Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: NB Cooling?

My mobo currently has this small, low-profile black heatsink (without a fan on the NB:thumbs do). I'm thinking about replacing this with a different cooler, one with a fan. Any suggestions? Also, would there be a significant difference in NB and GPU temps if I lapped the cores of each of them?
    AMD Athlon XP 2000+ T-bred A (RIRGA) --soon to be replaced by a 2000+ T-bred B from my friend
    Geforce FX5200
    512MB PC2700 RAM
    80GB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM, 8MB buffer
    FIC AU13 nForce2SPP
    350W Antec TruePower
    52x24x52x CD-RW drive
    Thermaltake Volcano 7+
    Aspire X-Dreamer
    Windows XP Professional

Lapping a GPU? Only if you have the burning desire to buy a new video card in the immediate future. If you've ever looked at one, you'll see there is a dip in the center. In order to get a smooth surface over the entire face of the GPU, you would have to take the side edges down into the core itself. Not a good call.

Lapping the Northbridge has had limited success, but isn't really necessary. Many mainboards function perfectly normal without active cooling installed here. About the only reason one should really consider adding an active cooler to the Northbridge is if you're having bad problems with instability when you raise the voltage while overclocking. This is where you might want additional cooling. In this case there are several brands of chipset coolers available through your favorite retail channel. Just remember that when you add more fans, you will increase the noise levels by just a bit.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Not sure how the mounting holes on that board are, but for my northbridge the Vantec Iceberg works like a charm, even vmodded to 2v+.

Don't lap the GPU. You can lap the NB though. There's a good guide for it at www.motherboardfaqs.com under the NF7 section. It's the same for all boards.

And yes, having better cooling/lapping the NB will increase stability at high FSB's.

Yes, I seemed to notice instability overclocking and overvolting @ 1.7 and 1.725 volts. I'm lookin for more stability :D

Measuring from pin to pin on my current NB heatsink, it's roughly 5.5 cm across.
    AMD Athlon XP 2000+ T-bred A (RIRGA) --soon to be replaced by a 2000+ T-bred B from my friend
    Geforce FX5200
    512MB PC2700 RAM
    80GB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM, 8MB buffer
    FIC AU13 nForce2SPP
    350W Antec TruePower
    52x24x52x CD-RW drive
    Thermaltake Volcano 7+
    Aspire X-Dreamer
    Windows XP Professional

Thread Information