Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Higher CPU temps after motherboard change

I recently had to replace my motherboard MSI K7Tpro2-a. I replaced with a Gigabyte GA-7VT600, also replaced the ram since the new board needed DDRís, no other changes in the hardware. With my old setup the peak temp was around 40c. Now my temp starts out, after boot, at 35c and peaks at 65c in hour. The heat sink seems by touch no hotter nor cooler then with the old setup.

System temp after an hour is 39c. Air temp is 24c. CPU and system temps are one to two degrees cooler with case open.

I cannot understand why the Processor would be running so much hotter with just a motherboard change. I suspect/hope the motherboard sensor may be off. Anyone know if this does happen? Any suggestions how to check if it is off? Any ideas why the temp might be higher? How worried should I be about 65c cpu temp?

-Anthony

My System:
    Gigabyte GA-7VT600
    Crucial 512 Mb pc2700
    Athlon thunderbird 900MHz, Stock heatsink and fan
    Nvidia 32m riva tnt2 agp
    Cd writer, dvd writer
    Harddrive: 40gig mator
    Maxtop case, Qmax 350w psu

Gigabyte are known for higher reported temps but not by that much though maybe ya older mobo was reportin' to lower temps as well. When ya did the changeover did ya reapply thermal grease to the CPU core top b4 reattachin' the HSF? :?:

>>did ya reapply thermal grease to the CPU core top b4 reattachin' the HSF?

Yes. My first thought was a bad paste job and did it a second time to be sure it done was right.

>>maybe ya older mobo was reportin' to lower temps as well

Hmm.. hadnít thought of that.

>>Gigabyte are known for higher reported temps

Interesting. I am going to do research on the to find out about this. Maybe I should done that first

-Anthony

Something else to consider is the location of the socket on the mainboard. If they are not in the same location on the PCB, then different temperatures will likely be the result. Depending on the placement of the socket, this can cause either higher of lower temps.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

There are all sort remarks on the web about Gigabyte bios giving over high temps.

Iíve installed the program MBM5 (Motherboard Monitor). Found at http://mbm.livewiredev.com/ . It gives a move believable reading of 41c at peak load. This is about what my old system was reading at. So it would appear the bios is giving a bad reading. Supposedly updating the bios will correct its erroneous reading. Maybe, but I am loath to update the bios unless there is a real need.

I think Iíll buy one those thermal probes for an unbiased reading. Any Suggestion where the best placement is? -Anthony

If ya use something like a CompuNurse (or similar) with a flat sensor then it can be placed against the side of the CPU core between the CPU base and HSF. If ya get something like the Aerogate II (or similar) then it'll go into the socket under the CPU.

Thread Information