Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Upside down PSU overheating

I just recently bought an Antec True 480 power supply and it has raised the temperature in my case up from 32 degrees to 45 degrees. I really want to drop the heat but the power supply is mounted upside down in the case. Heres a picture of my problem and my thoughts on a solution, if anyone has any thoughts or ideas on how to better improve case ventillation please help!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mpetrie
    I just recently bought an Antec True 480 power supply and it has raised the temperature in my case up from 32 degrees to 45 degrees. I really want to drop the heat but the power supply is mounted upside down in the case. Heres a picture of my problem and my thoughts on a solution, if anyone has any thoughts or ideas on how to better improve case ventillation please help!!!
    The fan on the PSU should be facin' the bottom of the case, not the top, and the side panel fan should be an intake fan, not an exhaust.

By drilling holes, Im hoping you mean into the case, and not the PSU. You may get shocked if you drill into the PSU (not sure about grounding issues on a drill), or just fry your drill.

yeah, i know that much. And right now the side fan is an exhaust. I am probably going to change that once i get this whole thing straightened out. So it would do me better to flip the PSU insted of make a blowhole?

Is there a way i can make the side fan not blow dust all over the inside of my case? My floor has a rug, and it generates a lot of dust, so after about a month i have about a quarter inch of dust in the case making the fans have to work that much harder to keep things cool not to mention the fire hazard.

I would go with Solution 1. seems easier to me, because you are drilling only 1 blowhole, which is a lot easier to do than 4 smalles holes drilled in a pattern. Also when turning PSU upside down there might be additional pieces needed to be trimmed/modified to make it work.
    As well as the PSU will run cooler, because its taking on cooler air.

As for the dust. use some filters infront of the fan to keep your system clean.

Ok thanks. Ill report my findings when im done. :cool:

Why is it upsidedown in the first place?
    athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
    tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
    asus a7n8xe-dlx
    thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
    bfg 6800gt
    seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
    samsung dvdrw
    2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
    logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
    2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
    creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
    mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
    DFI infinity nf4 ultra
    thermaltake tsunami dream -black
    seagate sataII 500gb
    evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
    samsung sata dvd-rw
    2x1024 ocz black
    logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
    ocz fatal1ty 550w

Some cases are like that, I had one

well!! When i bought this enermax PSU it actually was a struggle to fit into the PC60 case. and compared to standard 300watt other approved psus.. the psu looked upside down to me. cos the labels were facing the other way. but now i know they are just like that because the gold plated fan would be in the way for the heat to exhaust through an out of back. thats all im sayin!!
    Lian LI PC60
    (2 intake 80mm ADDA/3
    exhaust 80mm ADDA)
    EG465P-VE Enermax Dual fan PSU 465watt
    Asus A7N8X Dx ver2.0 C1007 latest bios
    AthlonXp 3200+ Barton
    Xms Corsair 3700PT TwinX paired 2x512@200mhz
    200mhz X 11.0 = 2.205GIG
    creative audigy 2
    Asus V8460 U Ti 4600 Dx
    CPU full load 28C
    Case full load 24C
    Western D HDD 120gb
    XP Professional current best- crap
    11682 marks=xp best performance settings @ 2500+ 166mhz x 11.0X = 1.83GIG

jamie_horwood what are you talking about?

My case has the PSU mounted upside down. Its a Skyhawk case and i figured this wouldnt be a problem when i bought it. i guessed wrong. oh well. Now i resort to drilling holes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information