Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: is it me or poor quality thermal paste?

i recently changed my hsf for a thermaltake volcano 11 xaser edtion. i used the silicon thermal grease that came with it (dow corning t340) as i have yet to be able to procure any arctic silver. i think i've applied the compound correctly as these are my temps after the install.

room temp 21*c
    on boot: diode 33*c, socket 29*c, case 22*c
    15 min: diode 33*c, socket 29*c, case 23*c
    full load: diode 48*c, socket 36*c, case 23*c

what i have found though, is that after a few days, my temperatures really change for the worst.

room temp 21*c
    on boot: diode 42*c, socket 28*c, case 22*c
    15 min: diode 44*c, socket 34*c, case 24*c
    full load: diode 58*c, socket 44*c, 27*c

i have reinstalled the hsf a number of times and it repeats this pattern everytime. when i've reinstalled the thermal compound, i notice that most of it has migrated off of the die. in fact, there's such little compound there that i can see most of the die. it's much less than the paper thin layer i had applied. is the compound i've been using while waiting for the arctic silver really that terrible a product or have i been messing up the application of the thermal compound? any suggestions?
    ASUS A7N8X-X
    AMD XP 3000 (333mhz)
    Swiftech MCX462-V with 92mm fan
    Samsung PC400 512MB DDR PC 3200 x2
    Nvida FX5700 128MB
    CreativeLabs Audigy Gamer
    WD 80GB HD (8MB cache)
    Antec 380S W Truepower
    Antec Sonata with 2/120mm fans, 80mm side door blowhole (modded for better airflow)

Thermal paste included with HSF's is normally absolute crap and is basically to keep consumers off there backs for not including something so vital.

That's why ya only put a small amount of thermal paste on as a lot will be squeezed out under clampin' pressure and it's only the small gaps between the two surfaces that the paste is really needed for (just to remove air from between those surfaces). Even though the V11+ isn't as good as the V7+ or even close to the V12 the temps shouldn't blow out that far (AS3/5 will only get ya around 2-3C improvement on average).
    Now for some questions,
    Is the pressure point of the clip (the bend that actually contacts the top of the heatsink base) directly over the CPU core?
    Is the HSF on the right way (ya'll be surprised at just how many ppl fit them backwards)?
    Do ya have a link to ya case or a pic and can ya give us the case fan configuration for it? :?:

thx for the input amdman.

wiggo:
    oops, forgot to include link for case.
    http://www.antec-inc.com/images/400/Sonata_opencase.jpg

the second fan is located in the bottom right where the internal bays are located. it is flush against the front of the case and draws air inwards. i removed the dust filter on the other side to improve airflow.

the hsf is positioned correctly. it's not on backwards. the pressure clip is centered over the cpu so i assume it has adequate pressure.

the temps are much better than i had before (see earlier post from a week or so ago, 'are these good solutions')
    the problem seems to be that all of the thermal paste migrates. when the hsf is removed, there's not even a paper thin layer of paste there. i'd say that 75% of the die isn't even covered with anything. the missing paste isn't located on the bottom of the hsf either. it's bare. i wish i had a digital camera. a pic would illustrate it much better.

i searched for the hsfs suggested to me in said earlier post, but pickings are very slim where i live so i went with the volcano 11. i did get a new case as you mentioned my last one had extremely poor circulation. it was a good call. thanks wiggo. i guess i've been wondering if silicon is more prone to migration.
    ASUS A7N8X-X
    AMD XP 3000 (333mhz)
    Nvida FX5700 128MB
    WD 80GB HD (8MB cache)
    Antec 380S W Truepower
    Antec Sonata with 2/120mm fans, 80mm side door blowhole (modded for better airflow)

As I stated in my last post that the paste is only for fillin' any air gaps between the core and the heatsink and the excess is always pushed out from between them which is why we state that only a very thin layer be applied or ya wind up with more around in sides of the core and sometimes a thicker than necessary layer between the two surfaces so what ya have is fine (migration happens with all pastes).
    A suggestion for a bit better airflow in the case would be to fit an 80mm intake fan in the side panel over the PCI slots as this will provide a better source of cooler air for the video card and offset the PSU's fans which atm with your fan configuration would have negative air pressure within the case (the added fan only needs to be 34-36cfm to give a very slight positive pressure to it) and that should help keep it a bit cooler.

Are you using the temp controled fan power from your psu? If so, what fans are connected to it?
    athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
    tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
    asus a7n8xe-dlx
    thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
    bfg 6800gt
    seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
    samsung dvdrw
    2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
    logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
    2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
    creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
    mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
    DFI infinity nf4 ultra
    thermaltake tsunami dream -black
    seagate sataII 500gb
    evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
    samsung sata dvd-rw
    2x1024 ocz black
    logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
    ocz fatal1ty 550w

i have experimented with both. i have connected the case fans to the fan specific power connectors and i have connected the case fans to the regular power connectors. i've left it connected to the regular connectors as there was a difference of 4*c in case temperatures between the two choices. the socket and diode temps weren't affected. i don't have the psu 3 pin connector that controls the speed of the psu fan attached either so that it's operating at max rpms.

i noticed that dow corning lists the t-340 thermal grease as 0.6W/mK whereas i've seen it claimed as 4W/mK on other places. seems to me that could make a big difference.

i also discovered a great store that's about a two hour drive from where i live. www.bigfootcomputers.com. they have a lot of cool accessories if you'll pardon the pun. i convinced a friend that we should take a trip to check it out. i was thinking of replacing the 120mm fan at the front of the case with one that brings more air in and i was also considering picking up a fancard to help move air near my video and sound cards. i'm debating picking up a new hsf aswell as they really have a lot of good choices to pick from. i'm anxious to get a hold of some arctic silver or ceramique too. i'm debating of cutting a hole in the door of my case near the videocard/pci cards instead of getting the fancard. i suspect it would produce better results with my airflow.

vantec fancard
    http://www.bigfootcomputers.com/Merc...egory_Code=105

panaflo 120mm case fans
    http://www.bigfootcomputers.com/Merc...ory_Code=100.4
    ASUS A7N8X-X
    AMD XP 3000 (333mhz)
    Nvida FX5700 128MB
    WD 80GB HD (8MB cache)
    Antec 380S W Truepower

Thread Information