Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Retail heat sink and fan versus the other options?

I am building an 1800+ xp cpu system and I am curious to know if the retail boxed cpu fan and heat sink is the best to use. I see alot of alternatives out there. I do plan to have a front 80mm fan and a rear 80mm fan ( I do have the case and fans purchased). What do you guys think?:rolleyes:

If you just plan on running at stock speeds, then you'll probably do fine with the stock heatsink on a retail processor. But since you're even visiting this site (which deals a lot in overclocking anyway), I'd guess that it is possible that you have goals of pushing your processor at least a bit.

If this is the case, then get yourself a good heatsink that will cool well. There are a huge amount of options out there, and many of them are reasonably priced. I'm currently using a Dr Thermal TI-V86N unit on my 1800+ processor and am having great results. If you're wanting something quiet that still works well, then take a look at the Thermaltake Volcano 7+ model.

Good luck! :)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

You are correct. I cant leave any thing as it is and will be overclocking. Quite and cool is my goal. I will do a little research and give it a try. thanx!

Dont forget the Artic Silver!!!!:)

Quote Originally Posted by TisMeDT
    Dont forget the Artic Silver!!!!:)
    that's Arctic Silver :no:

lol :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Thanx guys, I did some reading and I will use Arctic Silver, I will not however use a shim. It might be a mistake but I only purchased a Duron cpu until my system is complete. If I mess it up No big loss. I think that everything will go well though.
    And thanx for the tip on the Volcano 7. I will go with it whenever my cpu and mobo get off of backorder.

Those Volcano 7's are phreakin huge and heavy you might think about droppin a couple bucks on a shim when you move up to the better proc. My friend had one of them and chipped his 1333 thundy, he cried himself to sleep every night for a week after that. Youll know what i mean once you get your paws on that Volcano 7.

Hmm, I will reserve judgement until I receive the volcanoe 7. Costs me nothing to wait. Thanx!

Darthtanion recommended the Volcanoe 7+ not the Volcanoe 7

Despite the similarity in names - the HSF are very different

the original 7 was really not an impressive performer, whereas the 7+ is

Thread Information