Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: peltier heatsink

Default peltier heatsink

hey i was browsing on ebay for peltiers and came across this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

what do you think? it says it doesnt need waterproofing, bc when ur processor temps hit 30 degrees, it shuts off...pretty cool if you ask me

Thumbs down

Maybe I missed it, but I don't think so... there was no mention at all regarding the rating of the peltier unit used. You need to be able to make sure it can handle the stresses of whatever you're going to be using it on. I have used peltiers before that were not able to handle the stress of an overclocked rig and performed worse than a good air cooler.

Something else to consider: why in the world would you want your computer to turn off if you hit temperatures below 30C? This won't happen when you're gaming; it will happen when you're doing something like word processing or others more important things that require only small amounts of computer processing power.

It also looks like a cheap home-made kind of thing. That aluminum heatsink they use was real good... about 5-6 years ago. Just my opinion but I would recommend staying far away from it.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

I've never seen a good one of those either (even the copper ones didn't cut it).

your computer doesnt shut off, the peltier does... below 30 degrees, frost would accumulate, ur cpu heats and melts the frost, the water fries ur cpu. also, all the heatsink is for is to cool the other side of the peltier. if the hot side gets too hot on any peltier, it will make the cold side get warmer.

Darthtanion holds a valid point that I just didn't pay attention to at all, my bad. It doesn't say its true wattage rating, and if it isn't high enough it won't sufficiently cool your CPU.

Quote Originally Posted by m0s3s
    your computer doesnt shut off, the peltier does... below 30 degrees, frost would accumulate, ur cpu heats and melts the frost, the water fries ur cpu. also, all the heatsink is for is to cool the other side of the peltier. if the hot side gets too hot on any peltier, it will make the cold side get warmer.
    I understand the concept of a peltier, which is why I responded in the manner I did. And just shutting the pelt down would be even worse since then you have nothing worthwhile to remove heat. The base of a peltier unit is not a solid core and the fan isn't even cooling it so you'll effectively have absolutely no cooling when it shuts down... but if you read the eBay piece it said you needed to set up your BIOS to monitor temperatures and shut down accordingly. THAT is where your safety factor comes into play.

Oh, and a good peltier will not form ice under 30C. Hell, I even get that type of cooling out of a good air cooler and decent case airflow. But the decision to buy is your own. I suggest "Buyer Beware" but the choice is ultimately yours.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Thread Information