Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: CPU Cooling Idea/Disaster

Question CPU Cooling Idea/Disaster

Well, I couldn't get to sleep, so I thought up something for cooling a processor, though it's highly unlikly that it will work, since I barely know the basics of heatsinks.

Would it be a good idea to make cone out of somesort of material, put the smaller end around the cpu heatsink, at it's base, then at the larger end, have a 120 mm fan? I ask because I got a huge server tower from a friend and I want to mod the hell out of it.

The whole idea was for it to do a realativily good job cooling with a lot less noise then the small, high-speed fans. Good idea or bad idea?

Default Re: CPU Cooling Idea/Disaster

The concept of using larger fans to reduce noise works just fine, but without details about your plans it is hard to say how well it would work. Keep in mind, though, that if you just plan on making some sort of tube that sits over the processor, your odds of success are slim for good cooling. This is mainly because you would only have some air blowing across the processor core. The whole idea behind a heatsink is to have a highly heat-conductive metal sitting atop the processor core to spread the heat out over a large area. THEN the air blowing down has an easier time dissipating the heat from the sink. Though highly simplified, that is the concept of a heatsink.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Default Re: CPU Cooling Idea/Disaster

Lets see if I can get this right...So, I have a cpu, heatsink (hs), a large fan, and a cone. There is an attachment at the end of the post with a picture of what I'm thinking (crummy pic, but I did it in two min).

The idea is to have the heat go from the cpu to the hs (duh), then have the housing of the cone around the hs, with slits at the very bottom of the cone to let the air sirculate. The fan is turned on, sucking the cool air (though it might not be cool) from the slits at the base of the cone (by the hs), through the heat sink, then out through the fan. Since the case is going to be a server case, I have a lot of spots to mount supports for the cone to hold it in place.

That's a bit more of a describtion. I might give the case to another friend who could actually use the case for a full server, but I'm musing with the idea of this mod.
    Attached Images Attached Images CPU Cooling Idea/Disaster-cone-jpg 

Thread Information