Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: p4 3.2E with water cooling; temp = 62c

Default Re: p4 3.2E with water cooling; temp = 62c

3.4C's vary from 1.475v to 1.55v so you are within that range (if you plan to overclock stay below 1.7v).
    Quote Originally Posted by danDJ
    I noticed that intel rates it between 1.25 and 1.4v.
    That's for 3.4E's.

Northwood specs on intel site.... note the core voltage

http://processorfinder.intel.com/scr...ALL&CorSpd=ALL

i'll try to lower the cpu temp before i even think of doing any overclocking... (48 idle, 64 load)

dan, I have a P4 3.2 Ghz and I have the exact same overheating issues.

Basic System Specs:
    --P4 3.2 Ghz, 800 Mhz FSB (1024 KB L2 cache)
    --1 GB DDR Ram (with Vantec copper heatsink covers)
    --GeForce3 TI-500 (64 MB) (with a Vantec IceBerq4 cooling kit)
    --2-IBM 40GB IDE Desktars (7200 RPM) (with SATA dongle converters)
    --Sound Blaster Audigy LS (5.1 Surround sound-able card)
    --Abit IC7-G Motherboard
    --Generic 420 W PSU
    --Stock HS + Stock Fan
    --3-Intake 80mm case fans, 3-outtake 80mm (not including PSU fans)
    --Good to great wiring for maximum case airflow

I know for a fact even with the stock fan and heat sink, my system should NOT be idling at 55 C. I scraped the nasty "thermal tape" which the system came with and replaced it with Arctic Silver3. Now I know it's not "the best damn thing" on the market but it should do just fine for an improvement. I have everything required for a good, clean and cool system. HOWEVER, evidence is revealing the opposite.

Everything is connected securely, properly and undeniably perfect (I'm so conceded :P).

I have concluded that the issue is in direct relation with either: a deffective motherboard, or too low of a PSU and I'm leaning towards the latter. Since I have a lot of fans and whatnot, I know that there's not an ample amount of power to the whole setup that I have.

I am going to, however, have to wait until after all my christmas shopping is done because I might not have enough money for a GOOD PSU such as an Antec or another well-known brand. :-p

To support my theory, I am going to wait until I get a new PSU before I switch out my stock heat sink. After I'm done with both, I hope to knock my CPU temperature down into the low 40's and maybe mid 30 C.

I will try and remember to post my results whether they support my theory or make me look like a dumbass.

420w thermaltake is 35 dollars, i spend more at the movies
    Case: Thermaltake Xaser III // Power Supply: Thermaltake Butterfly 480w // Motherboard: Chaintech 9CJS Zenith // Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.4 C // Heatsink: Vantec Aeroflow // Video Card: Asus 9600 XT // Harddrive: Western Digital Raptor 36.7 GB // DVD Burner: Pioneer DVR-A06 // Soundcard: Audigy 2 // Speakers: Logitech Z-680's

oops.. I mean to say a "GOOD" PSU such as a 520 W Antec. There's no way in hell I'd settle for the same wattage. :P MORE POWER!

That wattage should be enough, though a 480W wouldn't be a bad idea and is about $55 or so, but it's your money, so waste it on a 520W Antec if you feel like it.

520W is never a waste, buddy..it's like saying you don't need a monitor for your computer to "work."

I have too much drain even for a 420 and I'm going to be adding more to this media powerhouse, so 520 is perfect..for now. The company I bought the bundle (mobo, case, CPU, PSU, ram) didn't expect that much to be put in.

-6 case fans..2 which have quad blue LEDs
    -DVD drive
    -CD-R/RW drive
    -floppy drive
    -2 IDE harddrives converted to SATA (which 2 other power sources for the converter dongles)
    -CPU fan
    -NB fan
    -Sound Blaster card
    -AGP
    -8 USB components hooked up to MB

Anyways...On to my report. I was given my "christmas present" early by my uncle and I put that towards a 520W Vantec (nope.. not an "Antec" but just as good).

My results aren't exactly what I expected in terms of cooling the processor, although the $140 (including tax) was well spent. I noticed a considerable difference in booting up.

For example; the 420W which I had before "powered up" slowly and to the point where it seems it won't boot. It's kinda like turning on a car and having it "sputter" and then catching after 10 seconds.

So now the system powers on without hesitation, however there was no difference whatsoever in my CPU temperature. That eliminates the possibility of the PSU having any effect on the temperature of the CPU in this case..oh well. I'm a little disappointed but not defeated.

The next step is to replace the stock HS with a much more suitable one. Of course, a complete copper HS will do. Either that or I'll go with a water-cooled system such as the Thermaltake Aquarias-II.

The Aquarias-II isn't the best of water cooling systems but I can definitely vouch for it now. My friend and I spent 2 1/2 hours cleaning his system and correcting the way his Aquarias system was installed.

The end result of a cleaner wiring system made me fall in love with zip ties :-p
    That and a 4 new case fans and a new radiator fan (for the Aquarias) made the system drop 20 degrees in Celsius and 50 degrees in Farenheight!!!!! WOW! At an idling temp. of 37 C, and a load temp. of 43 C that is AWESOME! I need one of these :-p

Quote Originally Posted by bc-17
    520W is never a waste, buddy..it's like saying you don't need a monitor for your computer to "work."
    No, it's more like saying you don't need a 19" LCD for your computer to "work."

For example; the 420W which I had before "powered up" slowly and to the point where it seems it won't boot. It's kinda like turning on a car and having it "sputter" and then catching after 10 seconds.
    That's what you get for using a generic PSU. The wattage doesn't really matter if it's a POS. A 480W would have easily been enough, even with all the stuff you were powering.

for the record:

The company I bought the bundle (mobo, case, CPU, PSU, ram) didn't expect that much to be put in.
    It's not my fault so just stop, good god.

You're being asinine. Sigh..I don't want to argue so stop trying to pick a fight.
    Oh and just to make sure this is it, plz don't respond. It's really not worth your or my time now that this thread is pretty much dead, ty.
    Last edited by bc-17; 12-13-2004 at 02:38 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information