Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Post Your Crazy Cooling ideas Here!

Default Re: Post Your Crazy Cooling ideas Here!

The fridge is one of the ones that you see in hotel rooms everywhere, well at least here in Asia. I bought it, barely used for US$60-00. That was the cheap part!!
    Actualy I didn't keep an accurate record of what the whole setup cost but the only real price difference between this and a "normal" computer is the cost of the water cooling and fridge mods. The fridge cost the same as the server case on my other computer and then there were just countless hours and roughly US$150-00 for the plastic,water pump and stainless steel for the door frame
    Last edited by lek996; 09-27-2004 at 01:32 AM.

Yay, my first post.
    Okay, anyway, down to business. I picked a mini fridge up at a yard sale a month or two ago and I've been eyeballing it ever since. Basically what Im going to do is set up a regular water cooling system, But instead of using the radiator and reservoir to cool the water down, I'm going to mount the entire reservoir inside the freezer area of the refrigerator. The freezer area is really no more then a little box at the top of the 'fridge with extra coolant (pipes? coils? whatchamacallems?) running through it. The box measures 12.5" long x 5" high x 11" deep, making plenty of room for a very large res. So I plan to have the computer/ pump(s) mounted ontop of the fridge, then have the water pumped into/out of fridge. I plan to use 1/2" tubing, most likely silicon considering it fairs in the cold a whole lot better then vinyl. So here is where I would like some advice:

-It will be a fairly long way from the hole in the side of the fridge to the blocks then back to the res, what kind of pump should I use? Possibly should I have more then one? Like one at the exit of the res and one at the entry to give it that extra umph?

-Since the water coming from inside the freezer definetly is going to be lower then the ambient temperature, what should I do about condensation? Possibly really large bags of silicon beads? :P

-Anything else that I haven't thought of?

Why not just build the computer inside a freezer? The freezer would all ready be de-humidified.
    VNF3-250 nforce3, A64 2800, 512m PC3500, WD 80gb sata, 52x32x52 samsung. Soon to have a 6800 Woot!

Well here are my two issues with that.
    1: The refridgerator isn't really that big
    2: I kinda like to be able to see my comp
    3: The fridge isn't air tight. I had to defrost it yesterday because of the incredible amount of ice in it.

First Off, Hey Jack...

Alright, the biggest problem with the refrigerator idea is that yes there is condensation, however this condensation is only formed when you open the refrigerator door (hot air hitting cool surface). So your gunna need to put the reservoir in, find a way to route the tubes out while keeping the freezer perfectly air tight, and never ever open the door. That silicon idea aint bad either, maybe use a mini dehumidifier.
    Athlon 64 3500+ at 2.4 ghz
    Thermalright XP-90
    MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
    1 gig Crucial BallistixPC3200
    BFG 6800 Ultra OC

Well see this refrigerator isn't airtight, and I don't really have the money to fashion a new door for it (not to even mention the tools). And a dehumidifier isn't very practical, because think of it this way. You have 2 dehumidifiers in your basement, now both of them will still condense water, just only about half as much as before. So the only way for the dehumidifier(agh I have typed that to many times) to completely stop water vapor from getting into the case, or even to the block, you would have to have the case completely sealed except for one hole, which would be covered by the dehumidifier. So that way the air can only get into the case by first going through condenser.

Anyway, I've decided to put off the super cooling idea for now, Im going to set up a normal system with a car heatercore, etc, and get the hang of it before I jump into something more complicated.

Where is it leaking? Can you actually use this fridge or is it junkyard qaulity?
    Athlon 64 3500+ at 2.4 ghz
    Thermalright XP-90
    MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
    1 gig Crucial BallistixPC3200
    BFG 6800 Ultra OC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information