Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 80 mm Radiator for Water cooling

Default 80 mm Radiator for Water cooling

Think this is going to be effective at cooling the water?
    http://www.dangerden.com/mall2/more_...asp?fmmore=228
    Pump is a Hydor L35 320GPH (1200 l/h) Pump - 110/120V Link:
    http://www.dangerden.com/mall/Pumps/Pump_hydor.asp (scroll down till L35)
    Reservoir:http://www.dangerden.com/mall/Misc_Hardware/ddbay.asp
    Water Block DangerDen TDX Athlon64: http://www.dangerden.com/mall2/more_...asp?fmmore=208

My main question is if that the 80mm radiator will be able to dissipate the heat, even though its 80mm. Also, should I get a smaller reservoir? Will that effect the temperature? Also post comments on what you think about the kit im getting.
    Athlon 64 3500+ at 2.4 ghz
    Thermalright XP-90
    MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
    1 gig Crucial BallistixPC3200
    BFG 6800 Ultra OC

Default Re: 80 mm Radiator for Water cooling

An 80mm radiator definetly would be a waste, espically if you are going for high quality parts. Go with atleast a 120mm, that way you get better cooling and less noise, or just pickup a heater core or oil radiator from Trackauto or somewhere for 1/2 the price and most likely equivalent performance.

Swiftech has a similar sized radiator and at stock speeds one is fine but Swiftech suggest using 2 when overclocking and this maybe the same for the DangerDen unit.
    Also the more water capacity you have the better so I wouldn't get a smaller one.

Kind of off-topic, yet kind of on-topic...

This is a gaming system, right? And the one in your signature is the one you're watercooling? You can flash and overclock that 9800 Pro all you want, but it's still going to be a 9800 Pro. Watercooling a computer meant primarily for gaming for the purpose of overclocking more is simply wasteful if you're using a 9800 Pro. Hell, getting an Athlon 64 3500 for a gaming machine is wasteful if the video card is a 9800 Pro. I'd also say it's wasteful if you're not overclocking as stock air cooling on everything should give hardware adequate cooling for stability and long lives.

But if it's not for that system, whoops.

In case your confused the reason I want the 80mm is that my case doesn't have a 120mm fan slot and I would rather not drill/externally mount/screw up something (plus with a acrylic case, it aint gunna look too purty). But if it has a huge impact on the performance, I geuss I'll just have too deal with it.

Edit: Yawg posted at the same time that I did. In response to what he said:
    I don't understand what you mean about my 9800 pro. It's a Asus 9800 pro 256mb flashed to XT which is EXACTLY the same a regular 9800 xt. There are no differences with clock speeds. Also, no I didn't just buy the 9800 pro for this system. It's left over from my old system and I don't have the money to buy a new $400 graphics card, so I figure ill use the one I have till i can get a new one. Another reason is that I bought it in February and I think less then a year is too quick to change graphics cards. The purpose of the water cooling is for overclocking the 3500+ to 3800+ ( I know your thinking " You can do that on stock, But ill overclock more later ) but it is more for noise/experience. I hate fans...
    Last edited by c0ntra; 10-04-2004 at 09:44 AM.
    Thermalright XP-90
    MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
    BFG 6800 Ultra OC

You can still use a 120mm radiator even without a 120 mounting system in your case. Check this out from Swiftech. It is designed exactly for what you're wanting to do and also keeps the radiator outside the case (using cooler external air for the radiator).

I've got a 120mm kit coming in from them right now and it will include this component. My plans are to do a comparison between a standard mounting (internally) of the radiator and also with the Radbox to see how much difference there will be.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Wow thats exaclty what I need, thanks Darth.
    Also, any issues regarding the pump/reservoir?
    Thermalright XP-90
    MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
    BFG 6800 Ultra OC

The cooling system has not arrived yet, it is being sent to me for testing. If you like, though, you can check out the review I did not long ago of the 80mm kit running dual radiators. The pump in the kit being sent is a newer model, but performs the same as the one reviewed before... it just has a better internal setup allowing for a longer lifespan. Output and power requirements will be the same.
    My Toys

"Also, any issues regarding the pump/reservoir?"
    I was referring to the ones I have selected at the top of the page, Thanks for that other info though.
    Thermalright XP-90
    MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
    BFG 6800 Ultra OC

Sorry, I misunderstood your question. I haven't worked with any Danger Den equipment yet, but will be looking into it in the future. They have been around for a good while and have made a good name for themselves.

The pump is pretty standard and Hydor is a good name in PC water pumps. Before buying, make sure of the power requirements. Many pumps of this type want a 120v power line going out of the rear of the enclosure or use a separate power source. Make sure you've got what you need to run it.

The reseroir looks serviceable, but I would try to stay away from the ones that are made out of pieces of plastic and sealed together. One little leak and you'll be looking at a reason to upgrade! This is just my opinion, but I like the ones that are either molded out of a single piece of plastic/plexiglas/whatever. The chances of losing a seal are a whole lot lower than with a type that is built of many panels. At least this is the impression I get from looking at the pictures provided on the DD site.
    My Toys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information