Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Old Computer, New Heat Problem

Question Old Computer, New Heat Problem

I've got my old machine giving me some heat problems.

The computer is an AMD Thunderbird 1GHz on a DFI AK-74EC motherboard with 312MB of SDRAM. Its been a great computer but its 4 years old. I'm going to give it to my daughter, but I've run into a problem.

Within 5 minutes of boot, the computer will trip the CPU temperature alarm. The alarm is set for 60 degrees celcius. This will happen irregardless of what is running, even if its just BIOS. I'm getting the reading from BIOS PC Health Screen.

What could be the problem? My only thought is that maybe the shop that built it (now out of business) used thermal grease between the heatsink and processer and that the thermal grease has broken down and is not providing the protection it once did.

Any thoughts or ideas on how I can fix this machine?
    "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God" - Ephesians 2:8

NZXT Guardian Black Case
    AMD Athlon 64 3000+
    Epox 8KDA3J nForce3250gb Motherboard
    1GB Kingston Value Ram (512x2) CL 3
    120GB Western Digital EIDE Hard Driver 7200RPM
    Audigy 2
    Radeon 64MB VIVO
    DVD-ROM
    48x12x48 CD-RW
    Video Card is the next thing to upgrade.

Default Re: Old Computer, New Heat Problem

Any time you have a heat problem, always check out the TIM and the fitting of the heatsink. From the sounds of things, you had this machine stored away somewhere? It is possible that the thermal interface material has indeed broken down but it is also possible that the HSF is not fitted properly (especially if it might have been bumped around a bit). Double check these two items and figure out if the problem lies elsewhere.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Default Re: Old Computer, New Heat Problem

Sorry for not knowing this, but what is the TIM?

It has not been in storage. I've been using this machine full tilt until I bought my new one in April. Since then its been off in a corner, but the problem started before I put it away.
    "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God" - Ephesians 2:8

NZXT Guardian Black Case
    AMD Athlon 64 3000+
    Epox 8KDA3J nForce3250gb Motherboard
    1GB Kingston Value Ram (512x2) CL 3
    120GB Western Digital EIDE Hard Driver 7200RPM
    Audigy 2
    Radeon 64MB VIVO
    DVD-ROM
    48x12x48 CD-RW
    Video Card is the next thing to upgrade.

Thread Information