Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Overheating and Restarting

Default Re: Overheating and Restarting

Well I found the wattage, it says on the side 185W and right next to it in red lettering, under Total Power is 350W

I have the newest Nvidia Drivers too, and the computer restarts randomly, but mostly in games, sometimes in the beginning, sometims in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by JFirestorm10
    Well I found the wattage, it says on the side 185W and right next to it in red lettering, under Total Power is 350W
    From that, I would assume that your PSU is capable of 185 watts continuous, with the ability to handle 350 watts on surge (for very short periods of time)

Do a google search for computer power supply wattage calculators and make sure that what you have in your computer is not overloading the PSU

a start: http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

Not knowing your system specs, I would suggest that you get another PSU, and since they're not that expensive, get a good name brand unit with at least 400 watts, then you' shouldn't have to worry about it if and when you upgrade or add more components.
    AMD XP 2600+
    SOYO Dragon 400
    1 gig 3200 DDR
    Phillips CD/RW
    Pioneer DVD -/+ RW
    2-60 gig HD in RAID, 1 60 gig backup
    XP Pro

It tells me that my recommended powersupply needs to be 285.
    Hmm do you think this s why the computer is restarting? So what should I get if I do need a new one.

Ok here is the power supply that I have at the moment.

http://www.directron.com/eg351pve.html
    http://www.maxpoint.com/products/pow...fc/details.htm
    http://www.maxpoint.com/products/pow...65fc/index.htm

Which is basically the a weaker version of this fan.
    http://www.maxpoint.com/products/pow...lery/index.htm

Now my computer specifications are as follow
    Intel 3.2 Prescott HTT
    80 HD
    2G of DDR RAM
    2 lighted fans
    Nvidia GeForce FX5700 256RAM
    MSI PT-880 Motherboard
    DvD-RW/CD-Rom

When I went to the site I got a minimum power supply of 287.
    Can you guys confirm this and see if this is too low?
    Thanks again guys.

I'd go with a new PSU. I prefer Antec, they are a little pricey compared to some others out there, but don't go with anything less than 400 watts.

I'd also do it as quickly as possible. I built a computer for a friend awhile back, using his old case and PSU, when the PSU took a hike, it took the Motherboard with it. Normally that's not the case, but it happened that time
    AMD XP 2600+
    SOYO Dragon 400
    1 gig 3200 DDR
    Phillips CD/RW
    Pioneer DVD -/+ RW
    2-60 gig HD in RAID, 1 60 gig backup
    XP Pro

Ignore the sites that try to give you recommendations through some sort of automated process. Most of them are totally inaccurate, and the rest are unreliably inaccurate, at best.

A 350W PSU for that system is really pushing it, and I thinkg there's a decent chance that that's your problem. A 420W Thermaltake ought to do to the trick and will only cost about $40. I'd recommend Antec, but Thermaltak PSUs are almost as good and provide much higher wattage for much less money. They are worse in some ways, but I'd rather have a 420W Thermaltake over a 350W Antec, and they cost about the same).

Going to go buy a new PSU today, lets see if it changes anything at all. If worst comes to worst, I'll have to reformat the computer and reinstall everything

Wish me luck

I swapped to an Antec truecontrol(allows you to fine tune the voltages) 550W and wish I had done it earlier.
    I do have allot off stuff, so a 550 would be way overkill. A good 400 would be fine and allow for future upgrades.

Don't get the cheapy no names, some crap out well before their limits and cause problems like you are having.

So I bought a new PSU, still restarting on me. Its a 500W Antec powersupply. I just dont what the problem is anymore.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information