Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Overheating and Restarting

Default Overheating and Restarting

I just built my first computer and I am having serious overheating problems.

P4 3.2
    2GB DDR RAM
    Nvidia GeForce FX5700
    MSI PT-880 Motherboard
    80GB Hard Drive

I currently have two case fans, one in the front and the other in the rear. The case temperature sits at around 27-32C but the CPU idles around the 48-56C. I just got some no name brand thermal grease to put on the Heat Sink but it didnt seem to help at all. To make matters worst the computer restarts while in a game. Just wondering what I should do to solve this problem, is the computer restarting because of the high temperature?

Thanks for your guy's advice in advance.

Default Re: Overheating and Restarting

What does the CPU temp look like under load?
    AMD XP 2600+
    SOYO Dragon 400
    1 gig 3200 DDR
    Phillips CD/RW
    Pioneer DVD -/+ RW
    2-60 gig HD in RAID, 1 60 gig backup
    XP Pro

Unless it's a Prescott, that's way too hot. Get yourself some Arctic Silver 5 and make sure you properly clean off the old stuff. Idles of over 50c are unnacceptable, and you're probably getting load temperatures that the system simply can't handle.

Yes, get that AS 5 on there, that should help.
    But that IS indeed WAY too hot, even for a prescott!

CPUs throttle down when they get too hot, but your BIOS setting will(should) tell you your percent/temp to throttle, and the absolute shut down temp.

What power supply are you running?

Put some AS5 on the CPU, it shaved off a couple of degrees from the cpu but it still extremely high. Do you guys think I should get a higher RPM Heatsink Fan? It runs at 2500 I dont know if thats too low or not.

Quote Originally Posted by JFirestorm10
    Put some AS5 on the CPU, it shaved off a couple of degrees from the cpu but it still extremely high. Do you guys think I should get a higher RPM Heatsink Fan? It runs at 2500 I dont know if thats too low or not.
    That would depend on the size of the fan, larger fans run lower speeds than small ones. Also. please tell us what kind of Pentium 4:

Northwood @ 3.2ghz (800mhz FSB) {second-generation P4, and is what most P4s are}
    Gallatin @ 3.2ghz (800mhz FSB) {the Extreme Edition P4, the best, and most costly P4}
    Prescott @ 3.2ghz (800mhz FSB) {the new 3rd-generation p4, has a tendency to run very hot}

Those are the types of Pentium 4 that are at that speed. And there is a HUGE difference between them.
    Intel Pentium 4 2.53GHZ 533FSB
    1024MB PC-3200 DDR-SDRAM
    Sapphire Radeon 9800PRO 128MB
    Foxconn 865-PE6LS Motherboard
    Western Digital WD400BB 40GB, Western Digital WD600BB 60GB Hard Drives
    POWTEC Demon 480W PSU
    Dell UltraSharp 18001FP 18" LCD Monitor
    Windows XP Professional SP2

Higher RPM isn't the only quality of a heatsink/fan. Getting a decent $20 or $30 copper HSF ought to make a world of difference. Additional case fans are always helpful, too.

Its a Prescott.

Although I got the CPU temperature down to 43C with one of the case sides taken off. Its still restarting too.

Computer wont stop restarting even while idling at 43C, at full load its like 53-56C.

What power supply are you using (I'm faily certain Wayout already asked this, though...)?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information