Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: !!!!! Need HELP with 9800 pro problems !!!!!!

Exclamation !!!!! Need HELP with 9800 pro problems !!!!!!

I have a big problem that i need help with. I recently discovered that i could flash my 9800pro to an xt (i have a powercolor 9800pro) and went out to purchase some after market cooling for my videocard as the stock cooler is a heap of ****. I purchased a Coolmaster Coolviva. It is ver similar to the zalman unit.
    I installed it, got my comp to boot, as i did this i noticed that there were a couple of squares missing in the logo. in windows it looked normal.
    But as soon as i entered a game it came up with all kinds of triangles of white and other lines and shapes (artifacts). I unclocked my CPU and everything and there was no change. Having freaked out i tried installing the official drivers (over omega 2.9 etc) and there was no change. I then re installed the stock cooling only to have the same problem.

Plz does anyone know what i should do?

My rig is:
    AMD athlon 2500+
    512 pc 2700
    Asus A7N8X-X
    40g hdd
    Powercolor radeon 9800 pro

Default Re: !!!!! Need HELP with 9800 pro problems !!!!!!

Are you sure you attached the heatsink right? That description sounds like the card is overheating, or is already fried. Did you use thermal paste? IE: Artic Silver? Did you make sure you removed the previous heatsink properly?
    Intel Pentium 4 2.53GHZ 533FSB
    1024MB PC-3200 DDR-SDRAM
    Sapphire Radeon 9800PRO 128MB
    Foxconn 865-PE6LS Motherboard
    Western Digital WD400BB 40GB, Western Digital WD600BB 60GB Hard Drives
    POWTEC Demon 480W PSU
    Dell UltraSharp 18001FP 18" LCD Monitor
    Windows XP Professional SP2

yes i am fairly sure i removed the old heatsink properly and i think i installed the new one correctly. I have since also re-installed / re-formated windows and the drivers from the cd it came with but there have been no improvments. Do you think this might also be a psu problem? i have thought that mine might be fried but it still works in windows.
    Thanks for your help and any other help that i will hopefullt recieve

oh , i forgot to say that i sued no name thermal paste, and was wondering if it is a problem that some came of the gpu and onto the area between it and the spacer?

Is your power supply at least 300W? That would be a minumum for that card; I think you'd want a 350 or more just to be safe. If you have less than a 300 then of course it wont work!
    Intel Pentium 4 2.53GHZ 533FSB
    1024MB PC-3200 DDR-SDRAM
    Sapphire Radeon 9800PRO 128MB
    Foxconn 865-PE6LS Motherboard
    Western Digital WD400BB 40GB, Western Digital WD600BB 60GB Hard Drives
    POWTEC Demon 480W PSU
    Dell UltraSharp 18001FP 18" LCD Monitor
    Windows XP Professional SP2

If i were you, i would probably flash the card back to the pro before you actually do permanent damage to the card. The triangles and lines are artifacts- which are signs that your card is overheating. Most likely you did not use arctic silver with the added heatsink or you either put the heatsink on wrong.

Sounds like you had some ESD while you were working with it and popped some memory....That or there are some pads that are being jumped by the new heat sink or excess compound.

Blocks on the screen tend to point to memory, and not the GPU.

I would try taking it back to where you started...paying close attention to any compound(or part of the sink, however unlikely) that may be causing electrical connections
    Last edited by matm347; 11-18-2004 at 07:58 AM.

This same problem happened with my 9800 pro when i used after market cooling. Like the previous person said this is probably caused by excess thermal paste causing jumps. What I did and what you should do is clean the card completely of paste. Then I would recommend buying some arctic silver 5 and the Arctic Cooling ATI silencer 3. I was using crappy after market cooling like you and it caused more problems. The ATI silencer is amazing, keeping the GPU at 35 C after playing hours of Half life 2. I really recommend it. Good luck.
    Athlon 64 3500+ at 2.4 ghz
    Thermalright XP-90
    MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
    1 gig Crucial BallistixPC3200
    BFG 6800 Ultra OC

Thread Information