Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: CPU temp and cooling with p4 3ghz

Default CPU temp and cooling with p4 3ghz

just recent bought a p4 3ghz and it came with a cooling fan, only recently installed but my minimum temp is 69C, and it exceeds to around 90C. The fan seems to be working but only getting 2698 RPM, is there anyway to improve this?

CPU - Intel PentiumŪ 4 3.066GHz Prescott (800MHz)
    Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-8S655FXL SIS655FX 800FSB +Serial ATA +LAN +USB2 +6ch.audio + Dual Channel Prescott Compatible

I have the main cpu fan but no system fan. I do have a thermaltake case which has 8 different fans scattered around the casing.

im really concerned that im going to damage the cpu with this temp, can anyone suggest anything? i do currently have the side panel off
    Last edited by Drake; 11-08-2004 at 06:49 AM.

Default Re: CPU temp and cooling with p4 3ghz

Are you using the stock retail cooling? That could be part of it, but those are pretty high temps, even for a Prescott on stock cooling. Having 8 case fans in a Thermaltake case doesn't make this reading any less suspicious. If you are using the retail cooling, you may want to consider putting Arctic Silver 5 and possibly even a new HSF on the CPU.

any suggestions on a better cooling fan?

Are you in the U.S.? The Zalman CNPS7000A-AlCu looks pretty good, but you should start with Arctic Silver 5 as you'll need it either way. A good thermal compound can make a huge difference.

im uk based, what sort of specefications am i looking for with regards to a good HSF?

my current fan is very similar / could be this:

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...roductID=20836

Copper base is usually best, high airflow and RPM, etc. The interface between the CPU and HSF is just as important, so try Arctic Silver 5 first.

I have a 3.2 prescott with idle temps of 38C and that is with stock cooling. However I created a duct with a 120mm fan blowing onto it. When I leave the computer doing nothing for a long time the temps go down as far as 36C. Even without the duct I never went above the high 40's when idling. That sounds really serious at 69C idle. Are you sure you have connected the hsf correctly?
    << Flunders >>

Intel Celeron CPU 2.0MHz O/C'd at 2.94MHz // Coolermaster Aero 4 // Gigabyte GA-8SQ800 SiS 655 chipset // Zalman ZM-NB47J Northbridge Cooler // Leadtek Research WinFast A250 Ti4200 64MB O/C'd at 300/585 /w Zalman ZM80C-HP Silent VGA Heatpipe Cooler and Fan // OCZ 512MB (2x256MB) PC4000 Dual Channel Gold Series DDR // Maxtor DiamondMax Plus9 120GB 2MB Cache // Creative Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Platinum // Pioneer DVD-120 Slot Load // Enlight Endura EN-7250 case // Globalwin Super Silent 22dBA 320W ATX Power Supply // Panasonic (PanaSync E70i) 17" Monitor // Wheel Mouse Optical // Cherry G83-6000 PS2 Keyboard // Creative Webcam NX PRO

Windows XP PRO SP1

The boxed 775 Prescott cooler should have been attached. It gives about the best cooling for 775, a similar design for your socket should work just as well.
    It has a copper core with aluminum fins which are split for increased surface area and a pretty large, variable fan. An all copper would be better.

And dont worry about hurting your CPU, the heat sync could actually fall off and you'd still be OK. P4s have awesome thermal protection, they just throttle themselves back.
    Also, what good is the best heat sync if you're not getting the CPUs heat to it? Use only the best TC compound you can get, Arctic silver 5 is what I use till they come out with something better.

Silver heat syncs are a little better than copper, but for the extra cost, it's not really worth it except in extreme overclocking situations.
    Last edited by matm347; 11-10-2004 at 06:54 AM.

Thread Information