Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing Heat sinks

Question Removing Heat sinks

I have an 2400 AMD that came with its own Heat sink.I have been running it for a year now, but would like to install a copper base CPU heat sink to keep it cooler. My question is this, what is the proper procedure for removing old heat sinks from CPU if compound or the tape was used between the heat sink and the CPU without damaging the CPU. If it comes off, do I need to clean the CPU before putting on QUICK SILVER and the new heat sink. Any help would be appreciated.

Default Re: Removing Heat sinks

Use 99% pure Isopropyl alcohol to clean both the heatsink and the CPU core. Use Arctic Silver 5 as your thermal compound.

Will I have trouble removing the old heat sink that it could be that secure if it was attached using compund or tape adhesive? Also where do I find 99% pure alcohol?

Pharmacy.

I went to the pharmacy they had only 70% pure alcohol.There is one question that I still need an answer for is it hard to remove the old heat sink without ruining your processor? I've heard if it was attached with heat sink tape where you remove the backing on the heat sink and mount it on your processor that you would have a hard time removing it.

You should get a higher % isopropyl alcohol.

I used 70% and I am fine. running my 2.4c @ 3.2, my load is still only 40c.
    Case: Thermaltake Xaser III // Power Supply: Thermaltake Butterfly 480w // Motherboard: Chaintech 9CJS Zenith // Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.4 C // Heatsink: Vantec Aeroflow // Video Card: Asus 9600 XT // Harddrive: Western Digital Raptor 36.7 GB // DVD Burner: Pioneer DVR-A06 // Soundcard: Audigy 2 // Speakers: Logitech Z-680's

The reasoning behiind a higher percentage is to make sure it all quickly evaporates. I've heard oftentimes you have to ask the pharmacist for the 99% stuff.

Removing the old heat sink shouldn’t be that hard. If it seems "stuck", a little twisting motion should get it off. I wouldn't worry too much about damage to the CPU, thermal paste is not used for CPUs that I know of.

Quote Originally Posted by matm347
    Removing the old heat sink shouldn’t be that hard. If it seems "stuck", a little twisting motion should get it off. I wouldn't worry too much about damage to the CPU, thermal paste is not used for CPUs that I know of.
    Real bright. ANY twisting motion on an AthlonXP processor or other CPU without an IHS is a stupid, stupid move and risks damaging the core.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information