Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: for what its worth........

Default for what its worth........

hey,
    i just wanted to pass along a tip. i usually run my homebuilt unit with the side cover off and laying in the corner(who doesn't, right?). but just for giggles, i put it back on tonite, and my temps dropped 10 degrees F ! had heard of this before, but never really experienced it. just thought i'd pass that on..............brian.
    win xp, upgrade
    cdrw (secondary-master)
    dvd-rom (primary-master)
    120g maxtor diamond max( raid-0 master)
    20g fujitsu (raid-1 master)
    abit th7-raid p4-skt 423 1400mhz
    with intel 850 chipset, 384 mgs pc800 rdram
    ati radeon 7000 agp

Default Re: for what its worth........

FYI, this can happen when you have proper airflow going through the case. When the air goes in the direction it is supposed to, it enhances cooling inside the enclosure.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Yes, it does help. This is because of negative air pressure, believe it or not even something as trivial as a slot cover missing can disrupt this pressure and increase temps.
    My Current Rigs:
    Antec P180, OCZ Powerstream 520W, DFI nF4 SLI-DR Expert, AMD X2 4400 w/XP120(2.6GHz@1.45v), 2x1GB OCZ Platnium PC3200, BFG 7900GT@592/800(1.6), WD 250GB SATA, Maxtor 120GB IDE, LG DVD/CD Combo(black), Sony DRU-810 DL DVD Burner(black)
    3DMark01:25379, 3DMark03:19746
    3DMark05:9294, 3DMark06:5340

Raidmax Cobra, Fortron PN-400W, ASUS A8N-E(nF4 Ultra), X2 3800 w/AMD heatpipe cooler, 2x 512MB Crucial Balistix, ATI X300, WD 250GB IDE, Samsung 16x DVD/RW

Quote Originally Posted by brianrly
    hey,
    i just wanted to pass along a tip. i usually run my homebuilt unit with the side cover off and laying in the corner(who doesn't, right?). but just for giggles, i put it back on tonite, and my temps dropped 10 degrees F ! had heard of this before, but never really experienced it. just thought i'd pass that on..............brian.

It means you own a good computer case with good airflow. I have an Aero Cool brand case that does that also. I'm sure there are many others but have only noticed it on this one so far. I for one always try leave my side panels on unless I need to do something to the system, like work bugs out. It just doesn't look right without a side panel.

What case do you have anyway?
    This is the AeroCool case I have...Oh yeah, and I added a 120mm fan in the back so maybe that helps a little....
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...196-001&depa=0

About the cooling issue, sorry for butting in here, but I have a thermaltake tsunami, is has the front fan (intake) and the back fan (outtake), the fan on the side I am not sure does anyone know if it is in or out? I was wondering because I just put on the Kingwin VGA cooler that has three fans blowing almost right at the side fan. If it is an intake fan, will that disrupt optimal air flow? Right know my temps are around 27-30 C inside with 40 C on the processor at idle.
    Current Set-up: Thermaltake Tsunami case, Thermaltake 480 W silent purepower, MSI K8N Neo2 Plat., AMD Athlon 64 3500+ w/Venus 12 cooler, 2x512 DDR400, ATI AIW 9800 Pro w/Kingwin VGA cooler (it looks cool anyway), Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZX Gamer, 2x160 GB SATA RAID 0 HDD.

Typically the side port fan is an intake, although with the setup you have you might want to reconsider. I'd check the temps on both configs, that's what I had to do with my old case and the side port actually worked better as an exhaust.

I need to get a case that has one of those side port fans blowing on the cards. The Aspire X-Dreamer II, which I have, positioned theirs kinda high up where it doesn't serve much of a purpse, at least not in my motherboard. And you could roast a turkey on my vga right now...

Thread Information