Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water Cooling System Suggestions

Default Water Cooling System Suggestions

I'm going to be installing a water cooling system in my new rig, but I'm not sure which one to go with. The one that looks the best to me is: the Thermaltake BigWater Model CL-W0005.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...106-049&depa=0

My plan is to install the radiator on the inside of the side panel to draw in the cool air. But I've nver actually set one of these up and I don't know if will work exactly as planned.

Are there any other water cooling system that would work better?

Default Re: Water Cooling System Suggestions

I haven't tested this particular water kit before so I cannot give you opinions based on personal usage, but I can say that the main thing that worries me about this particular cooling solution is the low-end pump used. Water flow of this bad bear is a meager 120l/Hr, which equates to less than 32GPH. I use a Swiftech water solution and the pump I use throws 10 times the water down range (1200l/Hr or 317GPH). There are some other drawbacks I could point out but this is my main concern. Water is a great cooling setup if done properly, and one of the keys to proper utilization is ample water flow through the entire system.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

I was wondering why he swiftech ones werre so much more expensive. I'll have to check into those ones. Which model do you have or would you recommend?

All are good from what I've seen. I've tested (and still use) both a 120mm version and a dual 80mm version. Depending on which pump you prefer, the older Rev2 kits offer the pump I use while the newer Rev3 kits use a lower powered pump that is still getting excellent reviews. It really comes down to how much room you want to use and what your desires are with regards to performance.
    My Toys

If I were to build my own water cooling kit. What are all the parts I would need?

Pump, Block (CPU), tubing?

I know the radiator is optional, but what about the resevoir? What does that thing do anyway?

You can use any of the main kits for a component list. As to the radiator being optional, I wouldn't look at it that way. I would rather have a radiator than a reservoir as it helps cool the water down before recirculating through the cooling system.

The reservoir works in a similar manner by adding more water to the mix. Since the water flow rate is static (depending on the power of the pump), the added volume of water gives the fluid time to cool down a bit more before being recirculated.
    My Toys

I'm having trouble finding the lph or gph spec on a ot of the pumps I'm checking out. All it says is D4 12vdc.

Here's the specific pump I'm looking at right now:

http://www.xoxide.com/polarflo-tt-se...ump-black.html

And what kind of tubing would you recommend? 1/2 or 3/8?

Don't know what the flow rate is as Xoxide did nothing more than a copy/paste directly from the PolarFLO webpage. I'd research it or send off a question to the manufacturer before ordering, though.

As to tube size, I like the 1/2" OD tubing (equates to 3/8" ID) since it gives you more flow capacity but still gives enough flexibility in the tubing to allow you to set it anywhere it is needed. The 1/2" ID stuff is good, but doesn't give much movement ability and getting it set up inside the case can be a real bear.
    My Toys

After some researching my kit is lloking like this:

Pump: MCP650
    Radiator: 2x MCR80-K

Still don't know about the vga, chipset and cpu blocks.

But my question is this, and maybe I'm way out in left field here, but what if I used two pumps? Is that even worth it? And if I did would it be best to use them serially or paralell?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information