Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: I would like to flush my water cooled system

Default I would like to flush my water cooled system

It's been almost a year, or better since I installed water cooler. My question is what is the best way to flush it? And with what? I read the response to a thread that you can use automotive coolant. Is this right? It does not hurt the pump? And to what ratio do you mix the auto coolant?
    Asus P5N32-E SLI mobo
    E6600
    Zalman 9700 led Heatsink
    Thermaltake Extreme Spirit NB heatsink
    Corsair XMS2 PC2 8500 (2gigs)/with fans
    Ocz Gamestream 700 watt psu
    Geforce 7900gs oc Video card
    Half a tarabyte hard drive space
    Thermaltake Saprano case

Default Re: I would like to flush my water cooled system

Automotive coolant is generally mixed in a 50/50 ratio with water, but I tend to stay away from it myself. It is a bit thicker than the coolant you find specifically made for water cooling systems in a computer and the pump in your water rig isn't nearly as sturdy as the one you'll find in your car.

As to the flushing, you can use distilled water to do this since your new coolant will be using this same base liquid anyway (or should be at least). This will allow you to clean any contaminants out before supplying the system with fresh coolant. I would also recommend using the same coolant you used before. This way you won't have to worry about any of the old coolant not getting flushed out completely and reacting in a bad way with the new coolant you use this time around. I have heard of others getting some of the coolants mixed together after an inadequate flush job and the result was corrosive.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Thread Information