Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Whats wrong with my airflow?

Default Whats wrong with my airflow?

Hey guys, thanks for your replies on my last post, havent gotten around to changing the vid card cooler yet though.

Anyways, i recently fried my PSU (long story, almost crapped my pants) and in doing so had to replace my dual fanned PSU with a single eshaust PSU I had as a spare. Figuring I would probably need another exhaust and already unhappy with my vid card temps, i installed a 80 mm exhaust by removing some pci brackets and sealing with duct tape. I thought this would be almost perfect airflow for my system because now i have an 80 mm intake in the front of my case with an 80mm exhaust in the back, parallel and crossing where my vid card takes its air; and an 80mm side intake blowing directly on my CPU via a directing funnel, with a 120 mm in the back of the case beside it.

To my surprise my temps have gone up around 5-7 degrees on my CPU and GPU. Does this make sense to you guys?

Anyways if my description sounds confusing ive attached a drawing to help explain. Thanks for your advice.
    Attached Images Attached Images Whats wrong with my airflow?-drawing-jpg 
    Pentium 4 CPU 2.60GHz @ 3.4 ghz
    ABIT A17 Motherboard
    1 GB PC3700 DDR-SDRAM
    Nvidia Geforce FX 6800 GT core 400 mem 1050
    Watercooled CPU and GPU
    WD 80 GB 7200rpm HDD
    WD 250 GB 7200 HDD
    Atapi CD-ROM 48x
    HP DVD Writer 300n
    Realtek 6 Channel Audio
    Windows XP Professional
    430 watt Antec TruePower

Default Re: Whats wrong with my airflow?

Yes it does make sense.

1st: Don't make a great deal about dual fan PSU's as they regularly don't push anymore air than single fan jobs do (they just do a better job of cooling themselves in most cases).

2nd: Put your expansion covers back in and move that fan to the top of the case as a blowhole (heat rises so its best to get rid of it at the top).

3rd (optional): Have a passive blowhole in the top (remember that heat rises) and stick the fan in the side as an intake fan over the video card.

Ok ill try to do some of those things, its a new case so ive been squeamish to start hacking at it, but thanks
    ABIT A17 Motherboard
    1 GB PC3700 DDR-SDRAM
    Watercooled CPU and GPU
    WD 80 GB 7200rpm HDD
    WD 250 GB 7200 HDD
    Atapi CD-ROM 48x
    HP DVD Writer 300n
    Realtek 6 Channel Audio
    Windows XP Professional
    430 watt Antec TruePower

You may want more intake. Your exhaust airflow is currently much greater than your intake.

Also, is there an opening in the front bezel? The vast majority of cases seem to have grills for fans in the front on the inside of the case, but not outside. If this is the situation, then your intake probably isn't doing anything.

yeah it has cuts in the front for intake, so that should be all set. However just as an update, i decided to do some unorthodox things for cooling recently to great success. I took the external casing to my old defunct psu and mounted a fan in the hole it had for its prior existing fan. this made a great fan mounting for the inside of my case and blows upward directly on my card and around it. The casing is shaped so that the air that gets sucked in from the front intake goes through the casing and up from the fan. My card is now dramatically cooler and it seems to assist in the convection of heat so my cpu temps are down a bit too. It was just a little crazy McGuyvering that I came up with, but im happy.
    ABIT A17 Motherboard
    1 GB PC3700 DDR-SDRAM
    Watercooled CPU and GPU
    WD 80 GB 7200rpm HDD
    WD 250 GB 7200 HDD
    Atapi CD-ROM 48x
    HP DVD Writer 300n
    Realtek 6 Channel Audio
    Windows XP Professional
    430 watt Antec TruePower

Nice drawing ;)

Thread Information