Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AMD FX55 Temp

Default AMD FX55 Temp

I have built a system using this cpu and Swiftech H2O-120 cooling kit. My CPU temp is usually around 108F which is around 42C. Does this seem right? System specs are CoolerMaster Centurion 5 case (80mm front intake, 120mm exhaust), SeaSonic 500 PSU (120mm fan), 2 SATA2 HD, 1 combo drive, round cables for everything, ATI 850 XT PE(exhausts out the rear) and the cooling kit. I do have the radiator mounted inside the case with the 120 fan between the radiator and the outside (sucks air from case through radiator then out). I am only cooling the cpu with liquid, no way to get chipset cooler on with this video card. I'm already considering moving the radiator outside but haven't figured out how to detach the cooling lines without making a mess first. Any ides or suggestions?

Default Re: AMD FX55 Temp

MCB Okinawa Japan?

While the temps you're getting are not the best, they aren't too bad considering the humidity levels you likely have there. Mounting the radiator outside should help out some since you'll have cooler air to run through the radiator to cool the liquid. To disconnect the water system, remove the CPU waterblock from the processor and hold it outside the case. If you bought full water kit from Swiftech you should have extra tubing. Cut one piece of the tubing to the waterblock while holding it outside the case (over a drain pan of course). This will let you drain the water from the system and then you can reinstall it with new tubing of the one affected hose. Swiftech also has a RadBox which allows you to route the radiator to the case exterior and it works well. It will, however, add several inches to the rear depth of the enclosure since it sticks out from the back of the case.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Thumbs up Re: AMD FX55 Temp

Not that this is relevant but you've got one hell of a pc- dream machine

Darthtanion: Thanks for the advise. I was thinking more along the lines of removing the radiator from inside the case and disconnecting one of its lines to drain the system, no cutting involved. I just was wondering if there was a better/safer way to do it. I'm retired Air Force, married to a local girl and decided to stay here. Yes, I now work for MCB G-6 on Camp Foster. About the computer, I intend to mount one 12cm fan inside the rear of the case, rad box (already on hand) outside with another fan to pull air through the radiator. I figure that moving the radiator outside will help relieve case temps all around. If this doesn't give me the results I want then I may try to redo my thermal compound. Maybe I goofed it there somehow.

Arjun: Thanks! Gaming is my primary hobby so I wanted a killer rig but stay with ATI video card. I have another machine that I run Nvidia cards in and next time it will probably go SLI and Intel. I like to keep both sets of companys in business!

Well, the job is done and although it looks good (too me) I'm not too impressed with my temps still. I should mention that these temps were recorded while SETI was running so they are not "idle" temps. I'm also going to try and attach some photos. Before the mod I was getting CPU temp of 108F, VGA temp of 111F, HD temp of 90F and top of case temp of 106F. After moving the radiator outside the case and putting Artic Silver 5 on the water block (as per their instructions) I now get CPU of 99F, VGA of 97F, HD of 86F and top of case of 97. Room temp is a constant 75F. I am curious about overclocking and wanted to get my temps as low as possible before I attemped it. And since I was going to be inside the case anyway I decided to put in a window, a UV fan internally, a LED fan externally, some UV lights, and cleaned up the cable mess. Any other suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images AMD FX55 Temp-copy-fxbefore1-jpg 

next Pics
    Attached Images Attached Images AMD FX55 Temp-copy-fx_after_lit-jpg 

Now the Money shot...
    Attached Images Attached Images AMD FX55 Temp-copy-fx_after_dark_side_on-jpg 

Your temperatures are ok but if you are really intent on improving them further then a large case might help.

Arjun, actually after reading deeper into the past threads I've decided that my input airflow is no where close to my exhaust flow. I'm thinking that may have something to do with it. I've spent some time looking for the "perfect case" and have found them lacking in at least one feature or another. I would like a 120mm intake, a 120mm exhaust, hard drive bays that allow air flow between the drives, and some room between the motherboard and the dirve bays to route/hide cables. No doors, USB and other ports up front and close to the top. Have looked at the Coolermaster p160 but haven't seen one up close and in person yet. And a case swap out is labor intensive. I've already got 12 hours just into the mods on this case! Course I also helped a friend build a computer and we took an extended lunch..

Just visit the sites of the major case manufacturers and see if theres anything you fancy, its all abt individual taste at least in the looks department so its better not to ask other people to reccomend a case for you.

But just looking at those pics u posted it seems pretty cramped, thats why i said you need a bigger case. Look at the below case
    http://www.thermaltake.com/xaserCase...mi/bna/bna.htm
    Its got everything you want plus a bit more space. 120mm fans. USB, firewire and audio ports are on a pop up panel on top of the case. In my cheap generic case i was able to mount the hard drive right in front of the intake fan so it was cooled very efficently, u should be able to pull that off with this case.

About the airflow- yeah normally you would want to have a bit more air being sucked in, than pushed out. Due to the high pressure then that would mean the only place air enters the case is through the intake fan, i.e. thru the dust filter and yr case will be completely free of dust. And at least in theory it may also help temperatures a bit because of higher pressure.
    Last edited by Arjun; 05-13-2005 at 03:32 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information