Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Cooling advice

Question Cooling advice

Hi! I'm thinking about buying some cooling fans for my cpu and video card. I want to know which is best: water-cooling or air-cooling and which ones.

I've got 150$ to spend and I would like to hear your advices.

Here are my CPU and video card :

AMD Athlon XP 2600+ Thouroughbred (or somethink like that)
    ASUS GeForce Ti4800SE 128MB

Thanks!

Default Re: Cooling advice

Cooling? Use that money to get a new video card. You can get a new Radeon 9800 Pro or a used 6600GT, which isn't too bad. Neither will be held back much by the CPU in most games. Plus, you might still have room for a new heat sink/fan for the CPU anyway.

yea i would go with a 6600gt, that card will last you about 1 or 2 years.
    Motherboard- DFI lanparty 250gb UT
    Cpu- amd 64 3200 oc @ 2.1ghz
    Ram- 1gb(512x2) corsair XMS
    Video Card- Evga 6800 (unlocked shader and oc @375/780)

As far as cooling goes, water is always better than air but it comes at a price both in terms of actual cost and also in terms of difficulty to install/set up. Given your $150 price limitation I'd be inclined to go with the other folks and recommend a better video card. You can pick up a quality air cooler for under $50 so it can be had anytime you're in need. A good water cooling rig will likely cost you at least $200 and can go even higher when you start adding in video and/or chipset cooling.

With regard to your desire for better cooling, has your system been having heat related problems? If so then be a little more specific about this and we can address it. Otherwise use your budgeted money on something that will help out your system.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Thread Information