Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Too HOT? ASUS P4C800E Motherboard

Default Too HOT? ASUS P4C800E Motherboard

I've got an ASUS P4C800E Deluxe motherboard, with a Pentium 4 3.2ghz Prescott CPU. My "ASUS Probe" fan and temperature monitoring software was telling me that my motherboard temp. was 38 C... and alarming at me!
    I freaked-out and bought a Thermaltake POLO HSF, 5 new High-CFM fans, and re-applied the Arctic Silver 5 (correctly this time, was "globbed on" before).
    My Questions:
    Are these high temperatures? Everyone talks about CPU and Case temps., but rarely motherboard temps.
    What is everyones prefered Temperature monitoring software?

Side-Note: My Heatsink Fan does not work at all, using the CPU temp. probe thingy. Are these often faulty?

thanks.

Default Re: Too HOT? ASUS P4C800E Motherboard

First off... I would highly recommend looking into an inexpensive thermal probe or maybe one of the front mounted panels that have probes included. Asus Probe has a well earned reputation for being about the worst possible way to monitor temperatures.

As to your motherboard temperatures, they usually only tell you if you need better case cooling or not. The processor temperatures are the ones that will have the most meaning. Also, this particular temperature can vary a lot between boards depending on where it is located in reference to the major heat producing components (video and processor mostly).
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

If the ASUS PRobe program sucks, than what is a good software to use to monitor Temperatures?

How about monitoring Voltages, FSB speeds, CPU speeds, etc?

I plan on overclocking, but need to conquer an heat issues first

Motherboard Monitor5

does volts, cpu speed/temp, hdd temps, m/board temps etc

Your board aint that hot, have a look at your case cooling, clear cable clutter to increase airflow through the case etc

edit: have a look at the asus site there is a d/load for AI Booster, I don't like it I prefer to use the bios but hey your call, try it, if you dont like it uninstall it :)
    Last edited by ANZAC_ELITE; 06-25-2005 at 04:17 PM.
    E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

ASUS Probe is not the buggy software that it was a few years back and MBM5 has not been updated since the 18 June 2004 plus I've never had any faith in those temp probe controlled fans so either set it to either full speed or use the variable speed controller then if your temps don't come down its time to look at your case's airflow.

Quote Originally Posted by wayout44
    ..........MBM5 has not been updated since the 18 June 2004......
    This is true but it still has our board listed in the supported boards as they were released prior to June 04 and it seems to report truely enough though this is entirely dependent on the winbond chip. I agree probes and multimeters are the only way to get "real' readings
    Last edited by ANZAC_ELITE; 06-27-2005 at 10:31 AM.
    E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Motherboard Monitor looks like it gives more information than the ASUS probe does. I've also found in this forum mention of a program called Speedfan. I'll try both out and see which one I like, as well as search Asus.com for the latest probe.

As far as case airflow, here's some information on my system for ya'll.
    Thermaltake V2000A XaserIII Case (7 fans)
    ASUS P4C800 Deluxe motherboard
    Pentium 4 3.2E Prescott
    Artic Silver 5
    1 GB Corsair Twin-X Pro matched
    Case Fans 7 , 32cfm blue-led 80mm fans
    CPU HSF - Thermaltake POLO All copper, with 80 mm fan
    No overclocking (yet)

Anzac has a good point, I need to clear-up the cables on the inside of my case. I've done an okay job of keeping cables clear, but I really would love to completely re-wire the inside of my baby. Since she's been a work in progress, I'm always adding new stuff, and messing the wiring up.

To bo honest, when I initially mounted my stock HSF to the CPU I had no idea how to apply the Arctic Silver 5. I literally Globbed it on, and *SPLAT* slapped the HSF on top. YIKES!!!
    Since I got the new POLO HSF, the Artic Silver application is clean, and correct - a little massaged into the HSF, and a small drop on the CPU.
    Then, rubbed the CPU into the HSF in circular motions...
    That sound right :) ?

Quote Originally Posted by hondatune
    Since I got the new POLO HSF, the Artic Silver application is clean, and correct - a little massaged into the HSF, and a small drop on the CPU.
    Then, rubbed the CPU into the HSF in circular motions...
    That sound right :) ?
    Not even close, http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_s...tions_big2.htm

Actually, Exactly close.
    That is the reference I used to apply the Artic Silver this last time.
    I tried to explain that entire process in just a few words.
    A summary, if you will.
    Thermaltake V2000A XaserIII Case (7 fans)
    ASUS P4C800 Deluxe motherboard
    Pentium 4 3.2E Prescott
    Artic Silver 5
    1 GB PC4000 Corsair Twin-X Pro matched DDR500
    Case Fans 7 , 32cfm blue-led 80mm fans
    CPU HSF - Thermaltake POLO All copper, with 80 mm fan

That's not close at all. Arctic Silver 5 is applied directly to the CPU core, then the HSF is placed on it, turned slightly, and mounted. There's no massaging or rubbing....

When reading the instructions, pay attention to where they change for Arctic Sivlver 5 over previous versions.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information