Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Peltier Cooling...

Default Peltier Cooling...

Well Yesterday mi decided it was time to install my peltier, so i got my neoprene, cut it to size etc to out onto the motherboard, well instead of using unibond(silicone) to glue it to the motherboard i used All purpose Glue, glued the neoprene to my motherboard, put some vaceline in the middle of the cpu socket and put a square of neoprene in there, then put the peltier on, put my heatsink back on and left it for 12 hours. put the computer back together in the morning, switched it on and it sticks on the Boot logo(screen after showing graphics adapter) and it wont change!

My question is, has this glue some how broke my motherboard as i cannot enter bios or anything, or has the vaceline heated up had contact with my cpu pins and nackered it, as there is vaceline now in the cpu socket holes, and on the under side of my processor in the little square hole... if you have a Socket 754 processor you will know what i mean.

i had a pretty stable system before this stupid mod, and now its completely useless at the moment, here is my spec if it will help...

AMD Mobile Athlon 64 3000+ 1024kb LV2 Cache.
    Asus K8v-x
    1024kb Kingston 333mhz
    Akasa Evo-33 with dual Amber fan.

and i think i have a 120watt peltier.

Please note, the peltier was never switched on when it was inside my system as i never turned the PSU on that is souly there to power the peltier.

Any help or advice would be much apprciated

Thank You.

Default Re: Peltier Cooling...

I'll be impressed if you can salvage much of anything from your setup. I'm not sure how much damage your choice of glue has harmed yopur system, but I can almost guarantee your choice of compound to be used inside the neoprene shell has likely killed the motherboard and processor due to shorting the entire system out. Assuming you're taking the neoprene and creating an airtight shell (like what is used in phase change cooling setups), the compound used inside the shell MUST BE a non-conductive compound to keep from shorting out the entire rig. Vaseline is oil based and as far as I know is a conductive material. This doesn't bode well for the life expectancy of your components.

Your best bet at this point in time is to take each component and try them in a working system one at a time so you can determine what still works. I wouldn't put a good processor in the mainboard, though, since it is likely forever dead already.

Good luck... I think you're gonna need it.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

man i had a mobile 64 3000+

i dont think its dead, it comes on it just crashes i believe, well im gonna do some testing after im back from my interview for a job tomorrow, as im leeching off my GF's computer haha.

if this ****s blown im gona be pissed off, i dont think the glue has ****ed anything, and i know a guy who had a pelt in his p4, he used vaseline instead of silicone as it is water proof, well i hope my system is working and il have another shot, im not going to give up.

i have found out that it is the vaseline that did all the damage causing my system not to boot, well i have learnt from this...

im just worried about using silicone, how can i get it off if i want it off!

and is there any decent tutorials around that can show me every place to silicone up!

Thanks again

What you want to look for is dielectric grease. Most are silicon based but they are nonconductive and won't harm your system while working as a vapor barrier for your alternative cooling. Make sure you get this type of compound.

As for cleaning it off, a soft cloth, Q-Tips and a lot of patience unless you can find nonconductive cleaning solution.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

It was not the vaseline after all, i think it was the fact the peltier gets to hot and my heatsink just cannot cool it down! so i have removed it from my system, and my look into just a water block from danger dan just for my cpu socket!

anyone else have any better ideas? also what do i need for a water setup?

Just to let you know, i have found out my peltier is 172watt

Thread Information