Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: For those that don't go Liquid.....

Default For those that don't go Liquid.....

I like many others have been a long time AMD user and fanatic,and an avid oc'er so the solution to the heat is something that we all are constantly working on.I myself am on a budget and am a bit weary of the liquid colling solution,as I have heard of problems(yet still solutions)with condensation.So in my search for alternatives the best I've came up with is HeatPipe Technology,this technology has been around for more than 60 yrs.It is quite simple in design and can be used passivly or actively,here is a site that explains the concept and applications: http://www.cheresources.com/htpipes.shtml
    As a personal testimonial I first used one 2 yrs ago on my Athlon Xp 2200+
    which was running idle at 107F with the Thermalright SLK-900(1lb of copper)and a highspeed 80mm fan.Then with the introduction of the heatpipe H/S
    its idle temp dropped to 100F!
    Since this discovery all the systems I build for people I know will be stressing them have this type of h/s on them.
    The specs for the hardware that I'm using now are in my Sig.I currently now idle at around 96F thats with 2 80mm fans and 1 90mm fan on the h/s
    (I took the cover off to do the 3 fan attach),and running a small free app.called CPUCool.I've recently ordered a CoolerMaster CoolViva VHC-L61 for my video card and ordered a Thermaltake Extreme Giant III A1919 for my Son Inlaws 9800 256mb Pro.,I will let you know ofthe results from these products.
    So inconclusion for someone on a budget(and with conserns about liquid cooling)the way to go is Heatpipe technology.
    Saphire 9600 256mb
    HDD's:4= 255gig
    1 CD-RW/DVD rom,1 DVD-RW
    Monitor:Gem gl1920b
    Case:4FANS.680w Dual fan PSU.
    If It aint broke"Tweak It"!
    Q9450@3000 MHz (8 x 375)W/Scythe Ninja & 120mmFan130CFM
    GA-EP45T-DS3R Bios v.F3
    4GigsDDR3 Corsair XMS3 1333C9DHX
    PCI Express 2.0 Asus HD 4670 512MB
    HDD Drive #1 - ST3320620AS (298 GB)
    HDD Drive #2 - Maxtor 6Y200P0 (189 GB)
    PSU Logisys 650W ATX12V
    Monitor Homemade NEC MultiSync LCD1970NX

Default Re: For those that don't go Liquid.....

I used the Thermalright XP-90 on my AMD64 and with an adjustable Thermaltake 92MM 79CFM fan at its' lowest setting, it idled at 36C. My water only beats it by 3-4C, depending on ambient temps. And at 100% load under Prime95, it maxxed out at 52C, whereas the water stops at 43C. As far as I am concerned, that Thermalright CPU cooler did an excelletn job of cooling the CPU. And it was very effective for overclocking, keeping my 3200+ Venice under 55C even at 2.86GHz. I agree that the heatpipe technology does work very well and is really the only way to air cool an overclocked processor.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

You really ought to learn to use Celcius. Nobody measures CPU heat in F, and I'd have to convert to figure out how significant 107 to 100 is. Granted, I know that 7F isn't a whole lot so it' sno too impressive, but heatsinks that use heatpipes are the way to go. Granted, you don't want to ignore the fan, but a Thermalright XP-90, for example, will lower temps significantly over standard heatsinks.

Another thing for those with air cooling to consider is a CPU duct. It can take CPU temps down anywhere from 2c to 10c, depending on how well-cooled the case is and how much heat the other components generate. My own CPU duct brought down CPU temps by about 3-4c.

A duct being a tube collecting directly from air outside the case, or a duct being a 120 to 80mm fan adapter increasing pressure?

You know those 45 degree angle ducts that supposedly allow air to cover the entire heatsink instead of everywhere except the bearing area? You think they actually work? The center of my heatsink gets really hot and the outsides generally stay cool. I was just wondering if it would be a good alternative. The duct would be kind of extreme since my ambient temp is only ~25-30C.

You mean like this, or are you referring to something else?

Yeah, those. And how cool does your system run with a duct? I just don't have much room for a duct except at the top, but there's such a cramp since the drives have cables jumbled up there.

Well it varies a lot based on ambient temperatures, but the duct took temperatures down 3-5c. I think it would have a greater impact if my heatsink were lapped better and had the dust cleaned out (and this TT Volcano collects dust at an alarming rate). It's cool enough that I can run it at 2.1GHz and 1.75v and only get crashes in ambients so hot that it's uncomfortable to use a computer anyway.

Thread Information