Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fan Filters

I was argueuing with my self on whether or not to use fan filters on my fans. How much airflow do they cut off? Do they really work? I dont want to buy fan filters and end up having to go buy a can of air a week becuase they did a crappy job.

Well, it all depends on which filters you get/make....The more dust they block, the most air they also block. But with a filter that blocks like 90% of the dust out, i'm guessing you'd get about 50% of your original airflow through.
    <Insert Witty Comment Here.>

i would way up the system temp and how much trouble it really is to pull the side off and clean out you case, because even if you put fillters in you still have to clean them.
    Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1662Mhz | Volcano 7+ HSF | Soltek SL-75DRV5 | 256MB Corsair XMS-3000 DDR RAM | 44x44x24 Yamaha CDR-W F1 | 16x Liteon DVD | 40Gig 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda | 20Gig 5400rpm Seagate | GeForce2 MX-400 | SB Live! | RTL8139A NIC | RTL8139B NIC | 12 Fans | 1 x ss Blue cc | 2 x Red Neons | 450W Codgen PSU | Logitech Z-340 2.1 Sub and sats | 17" Osborune Monitor | Win XP Pro | M$ explorer rat and keyboard | Everglide Attack Optical

sounds like a waste of time then.

Could be?
    Probably something you need to determine for yourself.
    I use a piece of 1 of the wife's old nylons, just cut out a square and hold it in place with a rubber band.
    I haven't had any performance problems caused by heat from doing this. Yes, dust still gets into the case but from the looks of the filter when I replace it, it does keep out a lot of yuk.
    For what it's costing me; 1 old pair of nylon hose that was headed for the trashcan + 1 rubberband = sure, why not?
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

After reading this thread, I decided to experiment a little bit.

I have 2 intakes on my case: 80mm front bottom, 90mm side. Both I covered with a thin sponge, ~10mm, thicker than commercially sold "filters". The block in airflow of the 80mm was quite noticeable. I have 2 fans stacked.

The 90mm at the side blows just above the vid card, directly over the CPU area. With the filter in place, CPU temps soared around 3-4 deg idle and a whopping 8 degrees under load! Since I have no temp probe to measure case temp, I can only go by the CPU temps.

To me, a bit of dust and a fortnightly cleanout is a better price to pay than these higher case temps.
    Onyx

TweakTown
    OCAU - Overclockers Australia
    CPF - CandlePower Forums

Antec 1080AMG with 430W TruePower

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C
    Could be?
    Probably something you need to determine for yourself.
    I use a piece of 1 of the wife's old nylons, just cut out a square and hold it in place with a rubber band.
    I haven't had any performance problems caused by heat from doing this. Yes, dust still gets into the case but from the looks of the filter when I replace it, it does keep out a lot of yuk.
    For what it's costing me; 1 old pair of nylon hose that was headed for the trashcan + 1 rubberband = sure, why not?
    nice...ill give it a shot.

it depends alot on wat kind of air-filter u get....but generally all the commercila ones will block out 90-95% of your dust....and block about 30-40% of your airflow.....this also increases as the filter gets clogged up with dust!:afro:

also, cleaning out your case every few months is no big deal anyway....u can wipe most of the dust of your components (carefully) with your fingers....if u have a vacuum cleaner that has a blow function...most modern ones do....u can use that as well....:afro:

Quote Originally Posted by chisholm
    if u have a vacuum cleaner that has a blow function...most modern ones do....u can use that as well....:afro:

Vacuum cleaners can generate a lot of static, so be sure to ground yourself well wings:

I just use a paintbrush for most of my cleaning :)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information