Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hydrothermal Convection Properties!

Default Hydrothermal Convection Properties!

Any current Techies here have a clue where to find data on this subject within the realm of small reservoirs? My advanced calculus and sense of physics dwindelled long before my leaving Uni 35yrs ago. So something that's less attuned to applied advanced physics and considerably smaller than a plantoid the size of freakin' Mars would be greatly appreciated on this one.

I'm simply trying to work out some advanced design theories for a more efficient water cooling system reservoir not save the universe from nueclear thermal radiation!
    Last edited by dryadsoul; 02-03-2006 at 03:18 PM.
    Happiness isn't something you experience; it's something you recall.

Default Re: Hydrothermal Convection Properties!

Let me clerify my needs here..........I understand the 3 basic laws of heat transfer, Convection, Induction and Radiation in relation to super heated air/water. My primary concerns are with the natural movement/flow of water molecules caused by disipation/diffusion within a small self contained mass such as a reservoir.

The flow can be graphed at sub-zero temps by its crystal formations and at hyperboil one can introduce solids particles to observe their motion. It's the state of motion which transpires between these to two extreme periods and at ambient temps that I'm having trouble finding info about.

Anything relative to the subject will do at this point. Not trying to be Einstein here, just seeking to gain a better working knowlege on the basic laws of WC'ing.
    Last edited by dryadsoul; 02-04-2006 at 05:58 AM.

The reservoir design can aid in the performance of a WC system, but more attention should be given to the radiator, where the majority of heat transfer will take place.<o:p></o:p>

But with a decent WC setup, the water shouldn't be above ~60C. The environment inside the reservoir wouldn't be a very volatile one since there is no heat being added externally. Granted, there will be turbulence due to the flowing of the pumped water, but not much else will be going on. Room for improving the thermal properties of a reservoir is somewhat limited, simply apply what you know and increase the surface area using a good conductor of heat as the material.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>
    Last edited by matm347; 02-04-2006 at 05:41 AM.

Thanks for the input Matm347. It's more my compulsion to OC anything with wires attached than a lack of familiarity with WC systems. After years of building gaming PC's with WC systems/kits, I've just currently made the evolutionary jump to water myself. So, maximum performance has suddenly become a more crucial criteria to the n'th. Which puts me on the tweak quest for afordable near subzero temp solutions.

Your reminder of water a temp sensor was an obvious point overlooked, cudos. In spite of my future proof builds, finance/technology mandate prescision tuned WC to keep afloat. At this stage the thrill of the challenge leaves me with an exuberant thirst for knowlege.......quite like Johnny 5.....Input, need more Input. I do enjoy this whole alienated Alien scenario to the extreme though larger data base is a priority!

Well, thanks again, and I'm off to purchase more 5052-H31 aluminum stock & a '77 Pontiac dual heater core.

No problem..but I'm sure you know copper is quite a bit better than aluminum. Since you are going for max cooling, you should use it instead. Silver is even better, but not worth the price for the small amount of improvement over copper.
    Go with the largest radiator, or series of radiators as possible... I once used an A/C evaporator out of a 2000 Accord. It was about 15x10" and about 3.5" thick, my max load temp was ~32C compared to ~42C with my 120x3 radiator I run now. I swapped so I could run the copper blocks without the problems inherent with the bi-metal loop. Good luck and let us know your results!!

Yes, Sir, the aluminum is for 3" riser fan shrouds to go in push/pull array with 4 Panflo 115cfm 38x120mm fans attached to that dual core '77 poncho HC. And diamond has the highest thermal conductive rate at the costliest price ...........besides being the most difficult to cut! Pure absurdity that!

I'm fairly certain my system will pull aproximately 22C idle/34C load temps before full tweak of setup is complete. Toying with a concentric dual metal canister reservoir design........must work out best method of bonding the copper inside to the aluminum outer shell........silver solder would seem ideal???? Possibly apply push/pull air as well.

At any rate I need to purchase new camera Nicads so that I can start intended indepth system construction/install log. Thanks again for the battery reminder, perhaps that's why I have procrastinated my auto parts trip to this point.

System will maintain full " barb integrity throughout with Zero elbows and nylon braided 3/4"OD tube with 200psi @ 75/100psi @ 150 & a 2"ID coil bend rate. Overkill security that at only 98centavo per foot!!!!

On the rebound & AwraBest
    Last edited by dryadsoul; 02-04-2006 at 10:51 AM.

Nice! What are you going to use for blocks? Diamonds would be nice wouldn't they?!?!

Solder would be one of the best ways to bond them without going overboard.
    Push pull configs have shown to have lower temps over any other config. Personally, I only run a pull to try and keep the noise down, but I'm not going for max performance as you are.
    What pump(s) do you plan on using?

Okay here are the parts ordered, shipped, and awaiting delivery:

Danger Den Laing D5 pump " shipped 2/2 arrived 2/3 delivered 7th my B-D
    Danger Den Maze4 Acetal Top " same as above Fedex
    Swiftech Apogee Extreme CPU " shipped second USPS from Oklahoma???

Parts in hand:
    1. 11ft of "ID 3/4OD Nylon braid tubing 200psi@75/100psi@150
    ....w/"ID coil bend ratio
    2. Misc. plumbing parts both PVC/Nylon/brass/Neoprene .....fittings/barbs/o-rings/washers
    3. 10 stainlees wormdrive clamps
    4. '67 GTO 6.5 litre 428cid dual heater core w/o AC Delco OEM NOS circa '71
    5. Four 38mmx120mm Panaflo 115cfm fans
    6. Two 12"x36" 2mm aluminum flatstock sheets - to be vertically finned ......outside and the other for fabrication of 3" rise dual core fan shroud
    7. One " core grade copper flatstock to be silver soldered inside aluminum ......circumfrence
    8. Nitrofurazone anti bacterial/fungus treats 300 gallon/1100 litre
    9. Five thermal temp sensors

Parts yet accuired:
    Suitable temporary reservoir while concentrc cop/alum/fin is constructed
    may use 2lb. Folgers polyvinyl cannister?
    Mop/shop vac! couldn't resist that one!

And ALL fan/system components will rotate position till maximum stable peak is reached and radiator will ride top shelf 5200btu vertical draft AC on lower fan shroud bracket with neoprene side skirts..........had to get the Highland wear into this mix MacNachtan clan plaid opptional Sgian Dubh, Dirk and sporan mandatory!

Pcitures forth coming, yeah yeah, forgot the Nicads WTF = World Turned Fecal
    Last edited by dryadsoul; 02-05-2006 at 05:51 AM.

I cant remember where i seen the pics, but there was 2 finish men who were o/c a radeon x1800xt with liquid nitrogen running at either minus 80d/f or d/c not sure, i think my freind sent me a screenshot of showing both core and mem clock running a 1ghz and temp -80, im not sure what setup they were using to achieve this but it would be alot of bucks involved, try google it and c what it brings up.

That would no doubt be a custom phase change unit. But I'm not quite ready to through condensation and ice into the mix just yet. When I get to that point I'll likely go with Vapo Chill's Prometeia Mach II design.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information