Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: System cooling in general

Default Re: System cooling in general

Quote Originally Posted by Spongebob
    Thanks for the parts lists. That does sound $pendy as you said but what scares me the most is getting everything to work as it should, sounds complex for someone that hasn't ventured any further than the basic P.C.. I think pics would help alot.
    If you built your system and have some basic tools (drill/saw) you can do a watercooling setup....I'll update with the pics ASAP.
    Last edited by matm347; 03-04-2006 at 11:52 AM.

You can build a seperate external housing for the pump/rad and reservoir. That is what I did:

I used an old case and cut it down and then just rivited it back together. My pump and 120MM fans are 110VAC so I didn't need to connect to the power supply. Two hoses (in/out) to the main case and it is actually very simple. Ask whatever questions you need to and the guys here will give you lots of help. I would also help in any way I can. Good luck, your hard work will pay off with nice temp drops, especially load temps.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Here are the pictures....

In This one... http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d...47/DSC00018.jpg
    You see the external part I fab'd as well as the many scratches it's caused...DOH! The tubes are coming from the case from the reservoir, to the pump, then straight into the radiator(~1" section of tube). From the radiator it goes to the CPU block, then back to the res. I had the MB and VGA being cooled, but have since upgraded and have not gotten the GPU block yet.

Here...
    http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d...47/DSC00013.jpg
    You see the tubes coming in/out of the case and the GPU block. (DD RBX)
    Note the small black centrifugal fan right behind the CPU, that's the optional fan for the A8N32-SLI used for watercooled CPUs.

Lastly..
    http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d...47/DSC00014.jpg
    You see the hole I drilled with a 6.5" holesaw for what used to be the 1x120mm radiator when everything was all internal, now I just use it for the reservoir.

Thanks for the pics you guys. I might try something like that. Casecutter, where did you get the pump and fans that plug into 110AC? that would sure save on the PSU useage. Do you have a switch to turn them on and off? If so, have you ever forgot to do it? I know other users in my household woun't even think of doing that unless everything turned on and off with the system.

Yeah, I have forgotten to turn them on once. They make a relay kit that will solve this problem that I am installing next week. As for the pump, any home/garden center should have them. It is the Eheim 1250 and it is basically a pond/fountain pump. Works killer! The fans I got at a hobby shop. Took a week or so to get them because they had to be ordered. Kinda noisy, but very very efficient. I am looking into some sort of controller to turn them down when I don't need them running full tilt.

Nice setup matm347. I am looking into a bigger case to make everything 1 piece in my system.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Pond pump... I never thought of that. I have a couple of those in my garage just sitting on a shelf, waiting for the snow to melt so I can put them back in my pond in the backyard this Spring. Maybe one will be used in a P.C. instead. Probably a smaller unit than I have. Those pumps never seem to last that long either. Seems like I replace them every other year, sometimes even more often.

How exactly does that work? I didn't think those pumps were built to be that restricted to pump things back and forth in a tube. I thought they had to have an open waterflow on one end. I'm thinking they might also be noisy if they are not submerged. I'd also be afraid of leaks.

Pond/Aquarium pumps used to be all there was back in the day when watercooling was still exotic. Most pumps will work just fine in a PC setup, the rule of thumb is to have the pump intake unrestricted...like right after the reservoir. Some reservoirs are made to fit on the actual pump intake itself. Snug fitting tubing and hoseclamps will keep any leaks away. You don't need a HUGE pump, anything over 300GPH will be good.

A quick search yielded this... http://www.pondliner.com/PM3.htm
    plenty of flow@ 350GPH, the head is good at 10.5' and it comes with a 3 year warranty. It's hard to beat for just over $50. This may be my next pump actually!
    For 10 more $ you can get its big brother...muahahahaha!!.... http://www.pondliner.com/PM5.htm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information