Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shrink wrap

I use shrink tubing alot at work.. the only heat that is needed is from a device similar to a electric hair dryer.. not sure what its actually called.. Ive always called it a heat gun.. anyways the hardest part about using it is getting it onto the wires themselves.. after that it easily shrinks down to size with very little heat
    My System:
    Antec case w/ 400w PSU
    ASUS A7N 266E
    AMD 1700XP
    Maxtor 40g HDD
    512 pc2100 crucial DDR
    GeForce 3

Now a hair dryer I will feel much better about compared to a lighter or any other similar device. I will know when its shrunken down to a certain size and that's good enough that would be common sense?

I have a small portable tourch.....

Just kidding.

I work in the Telecom business and we use these ALOT as they are great for cable management! Yes, you really want to use the heat gun ($25us and up) or a hair dryer. I have more than once burned the coating off the wires with a lighter, but what else do you use when you are in a dark cramped telephone closet?

The one drawlback is the stuff is pretty permenet (sp) so it's really a one shot deal. Practice a little before you go nuts inisde your case.

Hit your local electronics shop for the stuff as the "shack" is overpriced, BIT TIME.

Good luck and have fun!
    Spodi

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP
    Processor: Intel PentiumŪ 4 @ 1.6 --> 1.73 GHz
    Graphics Card: ALL-IN-WONDER RADEON (32meg)
    Total Physical Memory: 384 MB
    Motherboard Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
    Motherboard Model: P4T-E
    Harddrive: IBM Deskstar 120gxp 80meg (nice and quiet!)

I used all kinds of heat shrink ...I always use a hair dryer with no problems yet

you will see it begin to shrink as soon as you apply the heat.. it only takes a few seconds of heat from the heat gun or hairdryer depending on the size of the heat shrink.. the better heat guns have small adapters that concentrate the heat right on the heat shrink.. the heat shrink will very quickly conform itself to your wire and stop shrinking..
    it can be somewhat difficult to remove later, however it can be done by very carefully cutting it off starting at one end and slicing down the length with an exacto knife or other sharp instrument..
    however its very easy to accidently slice through any small wires contained within the shrink..
    My System:
    Antec case w/ 400w PSU
    ASUS A7N 266E
    AMD 1700XP
    Maxtor 40g HDD
    512 pc2100 crucial DDR
    GeForce 3

Quote Originally Posted by cHeEsY327

no heat? how does it shrink....

I think there is a draw wire in the coldshrink, and when it is pulled it activates chemicals to "shrink" the tubing.

Mmmmmm chemicals
    What came first - Insanity or Society?

Another fine example of "Better living through chemistry"!

Anybody who has used this, post a pic.

(breast augmentation is still our favorite chemistry though, followed closely by some of the recent advances in lubricants.)
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Quote Originally Posted by cHeEsY327

no heat? how does it shrink....

shrivel factor:eek: :eek:

Lmao..ML!..Hey Mr.C's Pic hurts my eyes when i look at it...Nice idea tho about the shrink tubing. I have used to install power to a mirrior display (like in jewelry stores) and used a lighter. Just use a swift action with the lighter and it will come out nice and should look like a wire. Umm about the hair dryer thing there is a difference between a hair dryer and a heat gun. Heat gun is alot hotter than a hair dryer (its for hair not wires) but you can give it a try...its sure is alot safer! :) Anyways Respawn...have fun and hopefully you'll get it done soon show us some pics when you are done. and PE: peace2: ACE!
    - Damien

Mr C.
    In the picture of your case with the shrink tubing. Have you seperated all wires on the IDE channels ?
    I think you have just wondering, as the tubing is barely 5mm in diameter.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information