Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Question about cpu temps running Orthos

Default Question about cpu temps running Orthos

My system config is below. I haven't OC'd my system yet. I'm using core temp to monitor my cpu temps. My idle temps run between 35-40C for the 4 cpu's. I quickly hit 58-60c after starting Orthos. Is that to be expected with this 100% stress test? I believe 71c is the max case temp allowed for the q6600.

Any comments on the cooler I'm using? The thermaltake V1?
    Antec 900 case
    GA-P35-DS4 v2.0
    Corsair 620 PS
    Q6600 Step B Rev G0 with a Thermaltake V1 cooler
    Patriot Extreme Performance 2GB(2 x 1GB)DDR2 800
    EVGA 8800 GTS 320MB
    Seagate 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Question about cpu temps running Orthos

Hi jb15415, I have a some questions for you:

What is your ambient room temperature?
    Is your V1 fan at 100%
    What is your vcore set to?
    Have you modded your GTS so the shroud vents exhaust outside the case?
    Which thermal paste did you use?
    How is your case cooling in general?

To give a preliminary answer to your question, those temps are OK, a little high to my mind for stock clocks but OK, and yes climbing to around the 58-60C mark is normal but once again a little high for stock clocks, you say you are using Orthos, are you running two instances with the affinity set so all four cores are at 100%?

The thermal specification for your cpu is indeed 71C (LINK to specs at Intel)
    I have no first hand experience with your cooler
    E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

What is your ambient room temperature? about 75-82F
    Is your V1 fan at 100% Yes
    What is your vcore set to? CPUID has it varying from 1.15-1.17 at idle
    Have you modded your GTS so the shroud vents exhaust outside the case? No, are there kits for that?
    Which thermal paste did you use? The paste that came with the cooler. I checked their website but couldn't find any info on it. It's a white paste.
    How is your case cooling in general? I love the 900...it comes with 2 fans for drives, 1 huge 200mm fan on top, and 1 fan in the rear. There's room to add a side fan also. It's well built and has ample room for my needs.

The HDD is 29C, GPU is 53C. Does easytune adjust the gpu fan speed? I would like to lower the gpu temp.
    Antec 900 case
    GA-P35-DS4 v2.0
    Corsair 620 PS
    EVGA 8800 GTS 320MB

I forgot to answer one of your questions.

you say you are using Orthos, are you running two instances with the affinity set so all four cores are at 100%? No, I believe it's only running 2 but all 4 heat up.
    Antec 900 case
    GA-P35-DS4 v2.0
    Corsair 620 PS
    EVGA 8800 GTS 320MB

mmmmm, there's something not right mate.

At ~24C room temp you should be lower than 35-40C. I idle at 33C at 3.2GHz at that room temp using 1.225v. I would suggest that you can reseat your cooler using a quality thermal paste Tuniq TX-2, Arctic MX-2, Noctua NT-H1, Arctic Silver 5 or similar to see if it makes any difference but from the reviews I have seen (I've just looked at five) it appears to be working correctly and to the same degree as the reviews.

I would suggest that it's just about "as good as it is going to get"

If I were you I'd be looking at something along the lines of Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme, Tuniq Tower 120, Noctua NH-U12F or even Zalman 9700NT before any serious overclocking.

As to the GTS mod, I made a simple cardboard shroud that taped to the card and directed the hot air out through the vacant case pci expansion slots for my 640 GTS, it works a treat.

Regarding Orthos, if this is with only two cores at 100% load I think you'll find the temps will jump even higher with all four cores under load, I suggest you use prime95 v25.6 as it is optimised for four cores and you don't need to worry about setting affinity in Task Manager.

I have no idea about easytune, is it a Gigabyte application that came with your m/board?? Maybe Lsdmeasap can help there, I've never owned a Gigabyte board.

Sorry mate, but it just isn't a "top of the line" cooler imo.

Cheers.
    Last edited by ANZAC_ELITE; 05-12-2008 at 01:32 PM. Reason: fixed typo
    E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

NO Easytune cannot change fan speed on your graphics card. It can change the clock speeds, but I suggest to not use it for that. Or for any overclocking either

For your graphics card speed adjustments, if you can change them you could use RivaTuner, or ATITool (Yes it works for nvidia) but most like rivatuner for nvidia based cards >>>
    RivaTuner

Some 8800's you cannot adjust, you will just have to grab it and see.

There is ways to modify your GFX cards BIOS to up the default speeds, but I will leave that up to you to find and do. Google will help you there, but I cannot suggest such a thing incase something goes wrong and you would feel it was maybe my bad idea. but it is out there, google Will get you there

I would suggest since quads are so cheap right now if you like Q6000 buy a new one so you get G0 stepping it runs much cooler, then you could ebay your old one

Those V1's are next to useless on a quad, ok for most duals though if you arn't pushing to hard.

I'm using Typhoon VX's myself and my Q6600 under full load is 41C with a room temp of 24C.

Thread Information