Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Speed Switch on Volcano 7+

you'll find that efficiency drops...
    ...with then due to airflow obstructions and air pressure buildup within the funnel.
    Consider the writers of those articles Wiggo. The are referring to the absolute maximum overclocking situations possible with air cooling. What they are saying that if you replace a very high RPM 70 mm, with an equal CFM 80mm, that efficiency will drop, slightly. And it will, but only noticeable to those craving another OC increment.

Now for the second part of that quote, of course air pressure builds up, you are compressing the stream of air to match a smaller diameter. And what happens when air pressure increases? It accelerates, (assuming the force (fan) is not overly weak. The acceleration is taken, but the friction involved lowers the fan's total CFM slightly.

Punchline: As long as you select a fan that can hold its own, (3,000 RPM +) you certainly will not see a decrease in heat sink performance. I am not joking about Fluid Mechanics, and don't mistake, air IS a fluid.

Actually most were talkin' normal specs but the main talkin' point was about flat surfaces within the funnel, which are used for mounting, reflecting the airflow back at itself and hindering the flow. Good if you can get one without those flat surfaces but almost all have them and the efficientcy drops dramatically because of them as the airflow has to fight itself (turbulence) to get thru. I have not seen one review that states other wise and all wind up with higher temps though they do have reduced noise. Plus ya won't convince me otherwise. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

The word here is turbulence. And the faster you get your larger fan moving, the greater the turbulence you'll be creating. Just something to think about in your computations.

Oh... and air is a gas. Though there are some fluid qualities in it due to it's chemical composition, it remains gaseous when in it's normal form. ;)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

For all practical purposes, there are 3 states of matter. They are, Solid, Liquid, and Gas. The word fluid is not a state of matter, it is primarily used as an adjective to describe the properties of matter.

Fluid: adj 1. having particles that easily move and change their relative position and easily yield to pressure: capable of flowing.

Secondary definition of Fluid, when used as a noun:
    Fluid: n : a substance (as a liquid or a gas) tending to flow or conform to the outline of its container

Those are copied directly out of Webster's 9th New Collegiate dictionary. By all means, look it up for yourself.

--------
    As for the 'flat spots' wiggo refers to, I have not owned one, so I had assumed that trusted manufacturing techniques were used in their construction. My comments are based on an adapter than simply adapts a larger diameter hole to a smaller one, like a funnel. The idea would be perfectly functional without the alleged 'flat spot' flaw.

speaking of fan efficiensy....has anyone herd much about the Y.S tech TMD fans? i hope they release an 80mm version that can compete with the delta and hopefully be a bit quieter as well:cheers:
    Epox 8RDA+
    xp2100@ 2.46ghz (214x11.5)
    Radeon 9700 pro
    512mb corsair xms3200 5-3-2-2@214
    512k ADSL
    SLK-800 HSF
    SB Audigy + Ultrasone HFI650DVD
    modded case: 2x120mm,4x80mm
    40GB Seagate Barracuda 4
    Sony trinitron 17"
    Antec Trupower 380W
    3D mark2003 : 5050

What about the standard volcano 7? Does it have a switch? Or does it automatically toggle with high and low speed fan.....would I be able to have the fan at 5000 RPM all the time? I currently have a WBK38 the thing spins at 7000RPM very loud but only moves 38CFM of air........5000CFM would be very quiet and move 58CFM of air I wanna get a standard volcano 7

The Volcano 7 uses a heat sensor to adjust the speed of the fan though this can be modded to bring the sensor into contact with the heatsink itself or taken off completely though I'd prefer to go with the 7+ version myself. :smokin:

What be the speed of the fan if I unplug the sensor?

errr i don;t think u can unplug the sensor....can u ?
    Epox 8RDA+
    xp2100@ 2.46ghz (214x11.5)
    Radeon 9700 pro
    512mb corsair xms3200 5-3-2-2@214
    512k ADSL
    SLK-800 HSF
    SB Audigy + Ultrasone HFI650DVD
    modded case: 2x120mm,4x80mm
    40GB Seagate Barracuda 4
    Sony trinitron 17"
    Antec Trupower 380W
    3D mark2003 : 5050

Quote Originally Posted by [size=6
    ReSpAwN DeMoN[/size]]
    What be the speed of the fan if I unplug the sensor?
    You can cut it it off and join the wires together and that will just give you a full speed fan. :smokin:

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread Information