Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arctic Silver II Question

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C
    You could invest in a higher RPM fan I suppose?

Not likely....... I'm already running a 4500RPM 27cfm Y.S. Tech model, next step up is the 6800RPM 38cfm screamer, which I can't hear myself think over - it's sitting on my desk next to me because of its noise level :(

But as long as other people are getting higher tempertures than me I'm happy :p
    What came first - Insanity or Society?

Albinus, according to Intel's web page on P4 Thermal Management .

And I quote; A simple evaluation of the temperature of the air entering the fan heatsink can provide confidence in the system's thermal management. For boxed Intel Pentium 4 processors, the testing point is at the center of the fan hub, approximately 0.3 inches above the fan. Evaluation of test data makes it possible to determine if a system has sufficient thermal management for the boxed processor. Systems should have a maximum expected temperature of 40C in the maximum expected external ambient (which is typically 35C).

End quote.

In which case you should test as described above.
    Offhand you seem to be reasonably OK, but check it out.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx
    I'd hazard a guess that the new retension mechanisms for the P4 secures the sink on top of the chip fairly well, thus removing the margin of cooling provided by a better than std thermal interface material.

I think you are spot on the mark here Onyx, my HSF is held on by two very strong clips, one at either end. It's a lot of force I can tell you ;)

Your PB&J combination might work wonders - who knows :D

I think that ya have two choices here
    1/ Get use to those temps and stop thinkin' of ya PIII
    2/ Get ya self an airconditioner and bring the ambient temp down
    so that's about it I think. :D
    <center></center>

As JealousMidget said- ASII takes at least 48hours to 'kick-in'

When I applied it to my XP1600+ idle temps were 44degrees
    ASII kicked in 2 days ago, and idle temps are now 38 (give or take 3 degrees)

Ive found the P4 chips, and to some extent the P3 chips dont really benefit from ASII whatsoever. I just use the grease and put up with temps around 50-60degrees. Not like I use the bloody things anyway...

Celerons however- the love the ASII compound. So there is definatly something going on with the P3 & P4 there....

Well I put some Arctic Silver II on my 1GHz Pentium III, and load temps have actually dropped a couple of degrees (even without waiting 48 hours). I'll see how the Pentium 4 goes ;)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information