Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heatsink the wont break off my socket 370

well every friday and sunday i take my computer on a nice 1 hour drive, and i have a big 80mm aliminum HSF and it's still fine, and i'm putting a volcano 7+ on it hopefully today if my order has come in.
    But then i have a window so it would be easy to ensure that it is all sitting nice.
    How hard would it to make/modify the clip?
    Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1662Mhz | Volcano 7+ HSF | Soltek SL-75DRV5 | 256MB Corsair XMS-3000 DDR RAM | 44x44x24 Yamaha CDR-W F1 | 16x Liteon DVD | 40Gig 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda | 20Gig 5400rpm Seagate | GeForce2 MX-400 | SB Live! | RTL8139A NIC | RTL8139B NIC | 12 Fans | 1 x ss Blue cc | 2 x Red Neons | 450W Codgen PSU | Logitech Z-340 2.1 Sub and sats | 17" Osborune Monitor | Win XP Pro | M$ explorer rat and keyboard | Everglide Attack Optical

Darth my Volcano7+ comes with a single clip but uses the three lil lugs...on each side of the Socket A.. i must have misunderstood your post tho. The Volano 7+ is great altho really heavy...i really don't think breaking will occur. Just becareful when handling it and with six lil lug holding the thing it shouldn't move at all...: peace2:
    - Damien

Yes the latest revision of the Volcano 7+ has a clip that uses all 6 lugs now to attach too. :thumb:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Its about time, with the tiny Athlon die size, it is silly for any Athlon HSf to NOT use all 3.

I wasn't aware that they had changed up their clip design. That's good to hear. :)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

ok this scares me..........cause when I upgrade my CPU I may want to get a Volcano 7 (not 7+) currently I have the WBK38......but if I were to go alpha or swiftech and use the holes which I like that idea.......isn't that easy to break the core? Or is it mandatory to buy a shim for that.......give me details how many turns does it take to install it correctly?

I havn't used either personally (seen them up close and asked the questions) though just turn each screw a turn at a time in a diagonal pattern (like 4 stud car wheels) till screwed down. The screws don't actually do the locking down though and can't be over tightened as springs under the screwheads supply the pressure to hold the HSF down on the core. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Here is the link of the review I did on the Alpha unit:
    http://www.tweaktown.com/document.ph...ew&dId=114

Here's a quick copy/paste from page three that refers to the installation of the sink:
    "A long screw with a spring is what is needed for the installation of the sink to the standoffs. The screws are tightened all the way into the standoffs, and this will apply the proper torque to the processor core. The springs will allow for a bit of flexibility in case your motherboard is just a bit out of spec.

I liked the fact that you couldn’t tighten the sink too far down and hurt your processor. While the prices of the Thunderbirds have dropped dramatically over the past year, that still doesn’t mean that I want to go out and buy a new one after breaking it. Fortunately, that won’t be a problem here."

Hopefully this answers your concern about the installation. I can't speak for the Swiftech cooler as I haven't tested one of them out myself, but I would be surprised if it were any different than this one.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

I have an Alpha8045 - & although you do have to remove your motherboard for the initial installation - it is by far the easiest HSF installation I've ever done - no leaning on a spring clip with screw driver where one slip means kiss your motherboard good bye.
    - and Darth is right - if you install it correctly - it's impossible to overtighten it or not have it flush with the the CPU lug - I wouldn't even bother with a shim.

Once the HS is installed you can swtch the fans from the top with out removing it - if you want.

By the way in my other system - one tab is broken off the side of the ziff socket - thanks to a Global Win single tab clip design and 450g+ copper cooler

right now I have the stock Intel aluminum cooler attached with Arctic Silver Epoxy - I'm just waiting for it to fall off on day :scream:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information