Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Turbulence

Default Turbulence

I have a Raidmax Smilodon and I think I ran into a problem with turbulence. Recently, I touched my RAM and noticed how hot it was. I priced some Spot Cools, but had an idea. I had an extra 80mm fan handy so I placed it in the case (supported with wire ties and vinyl wrapped wire) directly above my DIMM slots. Number 8 in the diagram.

Before I did this my CPU temp was an average of 34C, system 30C. After I did it my CPU temp went up to 39C, system 35C. I figure that what happened was that warm air from the RAM was being blown down where the CPU HSF(#3) then sucked it in and through the HS. So I removed it and my temps went back down. It did help cool the RAM, btw.

Fan #7 I think causes turbulence regarding the flow from out of the HSF(#3) up into the PSU fan (#2). Next time I open the case, I will disconnect it and see if it tests better.

Fan #6 is directly aimed at the Northbridge and also provides fresh air to the HSF.

There is a place on the MoBo side of the case for another 80mm fan, but it blows against the 2.5" drive bays.

Anyway, just thought I'd share... :p
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex St. John
    Consider for a moment that what we think of as “intelligence” is the byproduct of a computing architecture that depends on massive parallelism to interact with the world in real time without stalling for progress bars. If our ancestors’ brains had depended on running Vista on current dual-core processors for their survival, they would have been eaten by bears.

Best Quote Ever...
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho101
    Obey the one and only rule without question when you overclock.... don't cause a fire. Fires are hot and burny... not good.
    Intel E8400 EO@445x9--Gigabyte EP45-UD3P v1.1 ~ F9--EVGA 9800GT @ 700/1750/1100--8GB Gskill 1066

Default Re: Turbulence

I would agree that the turbulence factor is what caused your system temps to rise. If you could find a way to secure #8 on the opposite side of the RAM modules blowing up, the heated air would continue going in the direction you want. If you're into case modding, an exhaust fan on teh top would further enhance the airflow, especially if was positioned above the now upward blowing RAM fan.

Just my two cents worth.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Default Re: Turbulence

I removed the 80mm over the RAM and I added a 120mm at the top of the case.
    Last edited by grishkafool; 05-20-2009 at 07:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex St. John
    Consider for a moment that what we think of as “intelligence” is the byproduct of a computing architecture that depends on massive parallelism to interact with the world in real time without stalling for progress bars. If our ancestors’ brains had depended on running Vista on current dual-core processors for their survival, they would have been eaten by bears.

Best Quote Ever...
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho101
    Obey the one and only rule without question when you overclock.... don't cause a fire. Fires are hot and burny... not good.
    Intel E8400 EO@445x9--Gigabyte EP45-UD3P v1.1 ~ F9--EVGA 9800GT @ 700/1750/1100--8GB Gskill 1066

Thread Information