Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cpu Fan

Quote Originally Posted by zeradul
    the Volcano 9 is a Dud.
    Pffft...

I'll still go with the results that I got on my own system. It can't even hold a candle to the V6, so I'll just leave the rest of my comments concerning that to myself.

As for the noise level, it too is adjustable like the Volcano 7+ setup and even when it runs full bore, it is a lower noise level than any high-speed 60mm fan that I've tested so far.

ReSpAwN DeMoN,
    Don't worry about missing one of the Volcano series. To my knowledge, there hasn't been a V8 produced for consumer sales.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Well what kind of differences are there between the Volcano 7 and the Volcano 7+ basically so far there is a 30 dollar difference but other then that lets speak from a physical point of view. The volcano 7+ has the fan speed control which most likely I won't use, then there is another thing to consider that I don't even know about. The clip design on the volcano 7 uses the center tab and only the center tab. What if it breaks off??? Does the volcano 7+ take advantage of all three? Let me know.

RD... the answer is simple... the 7+ is solid copper. The 7 is not. Copper rules, Aluminum sucks when compared on the scale of ability to conduct heat.

Darth: Please don't take offense. The only source I trust more than DansData is anandtech.

And I am just saying that compared with the Volcano 7+, the Volcano 9 is a Dud. All aspects compared... Price, Noise, Performance, etc.
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

The main difference is the fan used. The original Volcano 7 allows for ONLY temperature regulated fan speeds. When I tested it, the good airflow that I have going through my case degraded the cooling qualities because the thermistor always thought it was running real cool. It was placed just to the side of the fan itself.

The Volcano 7+ has an adjustment that can be set by YOU. Even if you don't decide to change it out, you decide how fast it runs... not some bogus self-deciding piece of diode.

Also the Volcano 7+ has a fully copper heatsink while the older model was aluminum with a copper slug in the center.

Both of these coolers were reviewed here at TweakTown, so you can see for yourself what the differences were. The Volcano 7+ was by far the better cooler.

As for the clip, I believe that Wiggo had said in another thread that they had changed out to a six-lug clip design. :)
    My Toys

Yes if ya go the 7+ make sure that it's the latest version that holds all 6 lugs but over here if ya can still find the V7 it's actually a bit dearer than the V7+. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

10 bucks says that the Volcano 9+ Will be a Volcano 7+ Heatsink, with a Volcano 9 FAN.... :D :D :D :D

(did I mention you can buy the Volcano 9 fan by itself? and then put it on your Volcano 7+, and Voila, you'll have a Volcano 9+)

You'd think being in the heatsink business and all, that ThermalTake would be a little more creative. Honestly why do they keep going back to aluminum, the heatsink material of the slot PII's. :no:
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Quote Originally Posted by grypht

Now I am tired of the sound it makes
    if noise really is a concern - you may want to look at the coolers that use 80mm fans - Thermalright AX7 or SLK800, Swiftech MCX462, Alpha8045etc...all have very respectable performance & typically you get a better performance to noise ratio than you do with smaller fans.

I've got an Alpha 8045 on my Athlon , & I just picked up a 8942 for my S478 Celeron - I've used everything from a 80+cfm Delta fan to a 30cfm Sunon - they're not the absolute best, but they are very good & bare heat sinks are down around the $30US range.

I was thinking the same Zera. When i read the Volcano 9's Article by Darth...i was thinking what if...It had a solid copper HS with that massive 80mm fan.
    - Damien

I had thought about that too, but weight would become an issue I think. It might become necessary to start using a 4-hole mounting technique because of the massive weight involved.
    My Toys

yep...looks liek the way to go now for the best performance/noise ratio is an SLK800 with pretty much any fan;)
    Epox 8RDA+
    xp2100@ 2.46ghz (214x11.5)
    Radeon 9700 pro
    512mb corsair xms3200 5-3-2-2@214
    512k ADSL
    SLK-800 HSF
    SB Audigy + Ultrasone HFI650DVD
    modded case: 2x120mm,4x80mm
    40GB Seagate Barracuda 4
    Sony trinitron 17"
    Antec Trupower 380W
    3D mark2003 : 5050