Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silicone Thermal Compound

Yes it's that Volcano 7+ again. Does anyone know what type of silicone compound is shipped with the thermaltake volcano 7+. Should i be best using it. I'm having a big descision making my mind up on this or buying artic silver. is there anything that is weaker than arctic silver 3 just in case my fan has to come off? is this a bad question because i know that once you put some compounds on you will damage the CPU taking it off. not that i literally want this to happen
    Lian LI PC60
    (2 intake 80mm ADDA/3
    exhaust 80mm ADDA)
    EG465P-VE Enermax Dual fan PSU 465watt
    Asus A7N8X Dx ver2.0 C1007 latest bios
    AthlonXp 3200+ Barton
    Xms Corsair 3700PT TwinX paired 2x512@200mhz
    200mhz X 11.0 = 2.205GIG
    creative audigy 2
    Asus V8460 U Ti 4600 Dx
    CPU full load 28C
    Case full load 24C
    Western D HDD 120gb
    XP Professional current best- crap
    11682 marks=xp best performance settings @ 2500+ 166mhz x 11.0X = 1.83GIG

Ok....few things to get straight here first.

Number one I'm not sure about the volcano 7+ but I can only assume that generic tim comes with any HSF's. You'd be best with AS3 or Evergreen Thermagic I think its called. As of now I heard those are the industries best.

As for taking off the heatsink with compound already applied damaging CPU's. This is far from the truth. I've removed plenty of heatsinks with compound already on it. Cpu's condition? Just fine and dandy.

My opinion go get yourself some AS3 or Thermagic. AS3 is $6USD at newegg.com. You'd be much happier and its known to have like 2-3C degree difference.

Thermal compound isn't the easiest thing to remove, but some alcohol on a rag (or even better, an old toothbrush) and a bit of scrubbing should get it off.
    You definitely need to use the TIM - but Arctic Silver's is definitely superior to most that is supplied with HSF's. If it's handy go get some - if not you can use the stuff supplied until you get a better grade. Just clean the old off and apply the new when you get it.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Thermal Compounds enemy is the ol' trusty can of WD-40 just a little squirt on the end of a q-tip and bye bye thermal compound.

The Volcano 7+ is supplied with a small satchel of white paste but, yes as ReSpAwN DeMoN said, get yourself either some AS3 or Evergreen Thermagic as these are much better. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Quote Originally Posted by ReSpAwN DeMoN
    Thermal Compounds enemy is the ol' trusty can of WD-40 just a little squirt on the end of a q-tip and bye bye thermal compound.
    Be very careful if you use this technique. You will want to make extra sure that you get all the WD-40 off when you clean it. Since WD-40 is oil based it tends to leave behind a coating that can inhibit the effectiveness of the TIM that you are going to put onto the processor. That's what makes either Isopropyl Alcohol or Acetone so good... they evaporate very quickly and leave next to no residuals behind. ;)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

uh oh. I didn't even relize that WD-40 is oil based. That's why they use it for squeeky gears and stuff like that. THAT IS NOT GOOD!! On the artic silver website they say the best removal item is WD-40. I never cleaned up after I just dried it off the core and the processor.

Its prolly a good clean for anything besides a PCB board or a processor for that matter. Its prolly good to remove it off a table, case or anything else with WD-40. I use alcohol...it removes pretty fast and the evaporation time of alcohol is almost instant.
    - Damien

Maybe WD-40 followed up with Alcohol or Acetone? Sounds promising. :)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Quote Originally Posted by Darthtanion
    Maybe WD-40 followed up with Alcohol or Acetone? Sounds promising. :)
    I have used acetone in the past but made the packaging of the Athlon & Socket P3's a bit dull and sometimes a little gummy. For me rubbing alcohol with swabs do the trick quite nicely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information