Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are these temperatures normal?

I have a Volcano 7+, and I've been getting very high temperatures lately... With the fan on its LOWEST setting, I get a case temperature of 28 degrees and a CPU temperature of upwards of 50 degrees celsius! Any idea why this is so high? I have adequate case cooling and I have applied Arctic Silver 3 to the CPU. It's only been about 2 days since I applied the Arctic Silver, and apparently there is a "burn-in" time for the compound which is 72 hours or more. Does that mean that my CPU temperature will get cooler after a few more days? Or is this another problem that I should look at? Thanks!

One thing I forgot--these temperatures are taken when the system is running Windows XP with a few programs running in the background. Not too much CPU activity going on.

Anthing up to 3 days it can take for it to cure though I wouldn't use less than MEDIUM speed but what are you cooling with it? :?:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Oh... sorry I forgot that. It's an AMD Athlon XP 1600+ running at stock speed (1.4 GHz).

Wiggo, are you sure when he says lowest he doesn't mean it in the sense of coolest temperature as opposed to lowest fan speed? (As in I'm going to turn up the AC to make it cooler really means you are going to lower the temperature setting.)

Wow big difference.. the case temp and the proc temp.

Well form what they said wait a day or to for the compound to be totally set. And make sure the fan is at MEDIUM setting. Other than that I have no idea (i'm still a n00b).

How Arctic Silver3 did you put on? It only requires a very thin layer of it no thicker than a sheet of paper. ;)

Yes, more is definately not better.

I put on a fairly thin layer of AS3, and I followed the directions on the AS web site almost religiously, so I'm guessing I've applied the compound as properly as you could!

What motherboard are you using and are you having any probs with stability? :?:

I'm using an ASUS A7V266-E, and no, I'm not having any problems with stability. I'm just concerned that when I start playing games and running processor-intensive programs, the temperature will soar and my computer will be freezing like crazy! I just upgraded from the Dragon Orb 3 a few days ago and with it I was getting temperatures of 52 when idle (and since the fan doesn't have a fan speed control this was obviously at the highest speed). I was delighted to see that even on low speed the Volcano 7+ cools it better than the Orb 3, but I'm still concerned that it's getting much hotter than it need be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information