Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cooling advice

I'm probably gonna buy a new Athlon this week, since I believe my other one is fried.

Has anyone had problems with the Volcano 6cu? I believe something was faulty in the one I got or something, cause since I put that one on the CPU, my computer has been down.

My thoughts are that the heatsink wasn't completely seated, or there was something wrong with the thermaltake that was on it.

Anyway, I'm probably going to get a volcano5 this time, should I just scrape off the thermaltake that's on it and put some on myself :?:

If this is the better way to go, how thick of a layer do I need to put on, and is there such a thing as putting on too much of it :?:
    <font face="Arial" size="1">Where do you want to go today?</font><br><font face="Arial" size="2">Where ever the beer is please.</font>

You might wanna consider some Arctic Silver 3 thermal compound.
    Check it out here
    They also have a neat guide on how to remove existing (as well as Arcticsilver) thermal compound from your core &heatsink.
    Even if you dont buy some of the Arctic Silver, still checkout their install guide.

Anyway, before you throw away your Volcano, inspect the bottom of the heatsink and make sure its smooth. Remove that gooey crap from it if you havnt already and lap it. (means to sand it until its as smooth as a babys bottom)

I also suggest you uninstall Asus Probe, then go build a small, but containable fire and burn the cd it came on.
    After youve run out of petrol, go here and get youself Motherboard Monitor.

Thanks, I'll check that out.

There was that problem with being able to wiggle that HS, it doesn't move from side to side or anything, but I can wiggle it.

so I think I'll just a new one anyway, I can save the that one for if I decide to build another puter in the near future.
    <font face="Arial" size="1">Where do you want to go today?</font><br><font face="Arial" size="2">Where ever the beer is please.</font>

It's highly possible to ruin an AMD socket A CPU by "wiggling" or rocking the HSF whilst on the chip. Their delicate cores are easily broken, once on KEEP IT ON!!! ;)

The Volcano 6Cu is servicing all my non-overclocking friends well, keeps any Athlon XP CPU under 50 degrees under full load. On the other hand, the one who overclocks has an 1800+ with an Alpha PAL8045... :toung:

Yes - it is possible to apply too much thermal compound - a thick layer actually hampers heat transfer instead of helping. As Bahamut Zer0 suggested, go to the Arctic Silver website and look at their installation guide - pretty thorough.

Good Luck!!! :wave:
    What came first - Insanity or Society?

thx al - I read the instructions, I'll print them out before I do it, just to make sure I do it right :D

I'd prefer to not screw up another CPU ;)

hopefully I'll be back on the system in my sig on friday : peace2:

Or you could move to the Netherlands! Really good temps for your cpu overhere!
    My System:
    AMD XP1700+@XP2000
    ECS K7S5a Motherboard
    512 MB PC2700 DDR Ram
    Geforce 2 Pro 64 MB

Quote Originally Posted by MySTiCuSS
    Or you could move to the Netherlands! Really good temps for your cpu overhere!

Yes..... but the cost of living is astronomical, Sydney (Australia's most expensive city) is just over as half as expensive to live in than Rotterdam :eek:

Quote Originally Posted by MySTiCuSS
    Really good temps for your cpu overhere!
    and also really good for freezing you testies off ;) :p

Quote Originally Posted by Andy

and also really good for freezing you testies off ;) :p

Why? Oh that's right - you're a perverted little chap - you just might enjoy it

Quote Originally Posted by Albinus
    Why? Oh that's right - you're a perverted little chap - you just might enjoy it
    ya hear that, i'm a chap :D

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information